Friday, August 18, 2006

Liberals in Rural America

Okay, I'll admit it I live out in the boonies. Bayfield County has no stoplights, a population of 15,013, with a density of 10 people per sq mile. But while we may be rural, we are a progressive stronghold. In 2004 we went 60%-39% Kerry. (Actually I moved away from the area for a short time and I was living in Boundry county in Idaho that went 69%-29% Bush. I was one of the 1268 people that voted for Kerry in that county.)

Bayfield County is at the very top of Wi-Boundry County is at the very top of ID

I just don't want white rural America to be thought of as only republican territory. Just down the road from me a guy proudly displays this sign on his land

This guy is not an elite. He has a old house and rides 4 wheelers around. He doesn't like big government, and he's pretty ticked off at Bush. What makes him different from the struggling country boys of Nebraska or Kansas or Eastern Oregon. We need to get rural America back into the hands of democrats and away from the religious right and wingnuts. I heard a great interview with Jack Carter on Wisconsin Public Radio today. He spoke of travelling to rural Nevada while campaigning for his Senate bid. He reported that there are a lot of people out there that are very unhappy with the Republican Party. I think they may begin to see that tax breaks for the rich may not help them after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home