Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Old Ways Can Still Be The Most Enjoyable

I inherited an old coffee grinder and drip coffee maker from my grandfather a little over a year ago, and I haven't used an electric coffee grinder since. I can still remember the first time I used it. My partner and I were heading back to Idaho from New York. My grandfather gave me the grinder in Illinois when we stopped to visit. Anyhow, we picked up some organic Mexican coffee beans in Jamestown, North Dakota earlier that day. We stopped at an old abandoned school on highway 13 just south of Wolf Point, Montana for a snack and to brew some coffee (a lesson for any coffee drinker driving through the plains-bring your own, there are very few coffee shops. Several times I tried to muscle down the free coffee I got when I filled up my gas tank, but could never finish a whole cup.) We ground the beans in the grinder and heated some water on the coleman stove. I gotta say, the grinding of coffee creates a much better cup than the chopped beans from home grinders. Plus the beans can stay fresher by not grinding them at the store in advance. Or if you're like me and find yourself living for days or months out of your car or without electricity, a non electric grinder is fantastic. The following is my coffee procedure:
Grind the Beans in the Grinder.
Place the grounds in the filter.
Pour hot water into the chamber. The water drips through tiny holes into the grounds. Then it's ready to drink.

I have really been into collecting non-electric appliances (oil lamps, waffle iron, grain mill, etc. perhaps more on these in the future). The Lehmans store has a lot of great items for sale. I had the chance to visit last year (the same NY-Idaho trip) and was really impressed. My wish list item is a cider press. I'm still up to my eyeballs in apples so cider would be a great way to make use of them.

2 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Blogger earthchick said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my Seven Things Project blog - glad you liked the Simple Living Network site. Love your blog!

 
At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the coffee machine

Bean Counter
piconap.com/sso

 

Post a Comment

<< Home