Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Incredible, Edible Pumpkin


Another thing that I love about the autumn harvest is the wonderful pumpkin. This is the time of year here in northern Wisconsin when there is little local produce to be found except root crops and perhaps some brussel sprouts or kale. The oven starts getting used more and the smell of squash and cinnamon mixes with the smoke from the woodstove.

Baking pumpkins or squash to be used for other baked treats is an essential part of autumn. I can't believe people still buy cans of pumpkin puree from the store when it is so easy and frugal to cook ones own. Here is my easy technique:

* Cut the pumpkin in half and romove the seeds and stringy "guts".
* Cut the halves into large chunks and place skin up in a baking dish with a little water
* Bake at 350 for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours
* When cool, peel the skins and puree the pulp or press through a sieve
* Keep refrigerated or frozen

Today I used some of the puree in one of my favourite pumpkin recipes Pumpkin-Blue Corn Rye Bread from Beth Henperger's book Baking Bread: Old and New Traditions. Here is the recipe:

1/2 C blue cornmeal
1 C water
1/3 C molasses or honey
5 T butter
1/2 C pumpkin puree
2 1/2 t salt
1 1/2 T yeast
drop molasses or honey
1 C warm water
3/4 C medium rye flour
3/4 C whole wheat flour
4 to 4 1/2 C bread or all-purpose flour
1/4 C coarse blue cornmeal for dustinng

1. In a medium saucepan, combine the cornmeal and water. Cook over medium heat until thickened. stirring with a whisk. Stir in the molasses or honey, butter,pumpkin, and salt. Stir until the butter is melted. Remove and let cool.
2. In a large bowl sprinkle the yeast and molasses or honey over the water, stir to dissolve and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the pumpkin-cornmeal mixture, rye, whole-wheat, and 1 C of the bread flour. Beat hard for about a minute until creamy. Slowly stir in the rest of the flour turning the dough onto a work surface when needed. Knead the dough for about 3 minutes, but don't add too muck flour. Place the dough in a greased deep container and cover with a damp cloth. Let stand at room temperature until doubled, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
4. Divide the dough into two equal portions. Form into rectangular loaves for 2 greased cornmeal-dusted 9-by-5 pans or form two rounds and place on a greased baking sheet. Cover with cloth and let rise for about 40 minutes. Preheat oven at 350.
5. Slash the loaves decratively no more than 1/4 inch deep. Bake in the oven for 40 - 45 minutes. Remove and let cool.
The finished products. The color is off (they are more orange)

I have done many substitutions for this recipe. Today I used yellow cornmeal and I substituted barley flour for rye because I was out of both. I also used whole-wheat pastry flour in place of the bread flour. It still came out great. I just had a slice with some hot apple cider.

So this is one of my top pumpkin foods. What is your favourite pumpkin food?

11 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drooooool.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Liz said...

I love pumpkin bread. I also make a savory pumpkin galette for dinner with roasted garlic. Yum. Galette dough is yeasted and you roll it out into a large circle, spread a pumpkin/sage/garlic mixture on it and fold up the edges about 2" all around, and bake. A lovely fall dinner with greens or kale.

 
At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the gourds. Pumpkins (and squash for that matter) are so versatile. I'll have to try out this recipe. It looks delicious.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

nio: It was tasty, but the drool came with the pumpkin scones I made yesterday.

liz:I have never heard of galette. It sounds wonderful though. I tend to eat a lot of kale this time of year-there are so many varieties of it.

Carla: It's a good recipe. My former neighbor/friend wanted me to make several of these for her to give out for Christmas a couple years ago. We never did, but I made a loaf for her as often as I could.

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know I made this bread tonight! It is awesome! Thanks so much for the recipe!

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Mone said...

This bread sure looks good. Over here you cant get pumpkin in a can, so I'm used to make pumpkin puree myself. I didnt know that I could freeze it, thanks for the tip!
And I'll try your recipe on the weekend :)

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

stephanie:
You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe. The book that it came out of, Baking Bread Old and New Traditions, is really great (the best bread book I have found). I recommend picking it up if you can find it. She also has one on baking breads throughout the year, which focuses on a couple different breads each month.

mone:
I'm surprised they don't have pumpkin in cans over there. Freezing works really well for the puree. Someone told me the other day that they are attempting to can pumpkin puree with the spices and sugar in it. That way one can just add eggs and milk for a quick easy pie.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Sue said...

Often my high school students exhibit a false sense of security.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Sue said...

I want to know whether anyone has a use for the lovely liquor that cooks out of fresh pumpkin (for pumpkin puree.
Sue

 

Post a Comment

<< Home