Thursday, October 26, 2006

Locations Of My Soul (part 1)

Porcupine Mountains, UP Michigan for calmness
Lake of the Clouds-the heart of the park

I believe that our experiences add to the depth of our personalities. Where we have traveled, whom we have known, what we have learned all become part of our lives forever. Locations are especially important because we remember them for the profound experiences we had while there. Categories of the positive experiences tend to be memories (like the spot of first kissing ones lover), spiritual epiphanies, or just being overtaken by natural beauty. These special locations become part of our soul. They are especially important for me because I find myself returning there in my mind in times of turmoil to find solace. I use different locations to achieve different feelings.

The Porcupine Mountains State Park in the UP of Michigan is where I go to find calming energy. In the case of this week, I literally went there to find calmness (hence the idea for this post). I rented a backcountry cabin on Lake Superior for the evening. My partner was planning to go, but decided against it at the last moment. I guess hiking back to a little cabin in below freezing temps being seven months pregnant ended up not being appealing. Anyhow, the area was so quiet I was able to focus on nature and myself. I did a lot of reflecting on the upcoming birth, my job hunting and all of the other stressors I am currently experiencing. The experience was so healing for me that in the future I will be able to focus on the certain spots in the Porcupine Mts. to help me through times of chaos.
Lake Superior just below the cabin I rented

The Cabin through the Birch Trees

The Big Carp River

Emma on the Government Peak Trail

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Blogger Gavi said...

This is so beautiful and calming to me today.

Thank you.

 
At 12:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely. Your simply describing this place is infused with tranquility. Congratulations on upcoming birth, and good luck with job-searching.

 
At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely spot, I hope you're feeling rejuvenated.
My husband and I were in a similar situation when I was 7 months pregnant with our daughter (just finished our degrees, pregnant and jobless). It was a difficult transition but things worked out, as I'm sure they will for you.
Good luck and best wishes!

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger sarah said...

Amazing pictures. I agree that a location can become woven into the fabric of your soul. Looks like you found a beautiful place to search for calmness. Good luck with all that's ahead!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger crallspace said...

Nice area... For some reason, I don't recall UP mountains so well.

I hope the time lent some answers. All will be well, I believe, for you.

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like yourself, I have a place I go to let my soul come to the surface to think things through. And like yourself, it's a quiet place with water, mountains, and solitiude.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Thank you all for your kind words and support.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home