Friday, October 06, 2006

A Trip Over To Da UP Eh

The other day I had to drive about an hour east of where I live to go to my dentist (why I travel an hour to go to the dentist is a long story). Anyhow, I crossed the Wisco state line into the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. For anyone who thinks the UP is just the top of Michigan is greatly mistaken. The people of the UP refer to themselves as "Yoopers" and the rest of Michigan is simply "the other side of the Bridge". If one visits in winter you'll see snow up to the houses windows. They get anywhere from 200-300 inches of snow a year in many places (not bad for an elevation of around 1300 or less). While I was over there I couldn't help but buy an infamous yooper pasty. Normally I'm a fairly healthy eater (organic, local, little meat), but regional food has a way to tempt me. So I plunked down $3.00 for a artery clogging meat and potato filled pasty at Joe's Pasty shop in Ironwood. The pasty was brought to the UP by cornish miners (More on the history of the UP pasty here) and has stayed there ever since.
As I mentioned before regional foods tempt me with fascination. Here in Wisconsin every bar seems to have the best Friday Night Fish Fry. We also have deep fried cheese curds. Chicago has both stuffed pizzas and Chicago Hot Dogs (celery salt is the secret there). When I'm in coastal Washington I buy oysters. I know New Orleans is all about Cajun. I've even tried alligator in Florida. So I'm curious, what other regional foods are out there?

7 Comments:

At 1:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am enjoying yours as well.

We do bierocks here. {i don't care for them}

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We joke around here about Rocky Mountain Oysters, but they're sort of a delicacy and most of us have never had them. I honestly don't think Colorado has a regional food, to be honest about it. This is going to nag at my brain!

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Phelan:
Thanks.
I had never heard of bierocks so I googled them. They sound similar to pasties, but in the German tradition.

Amelia:
What about the Denver omlet? Or is that like "french" fries.

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm ... Pasties are tasty. I haven't had one in ages.

I don't know that CO has a regional food--besides the already mentioned Rocky Mountain Oyster and to be honest I know no one who's ever tried one.

If I remember correctly, Denver omelettes originated somewhere in the midwest instead of CO. Maybe I'm wrong though.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

I have never heard of the Mediterranean. I bet I would like it better, I enjoy more vegetables in my food. Oh and if they put olives in it I will definitely like it.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger crallspace said...

I love the U P. went on a wilderness trip there and when I was in the WIS boarding school, we'd go to the big city (Iron MT) occasionally. But Stevenson... now that's a boring town.

I can't place Ironwood for some reason.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Crall:
Ironwood is the gateway to the West for Michigan (the far northwest corner). It's a pretty old fashioned feeling town-not much happening except in the winter when all of the skiers and snowmobilers show up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home