Sunday, October 08, 2006

Needle Felting Is A Blast

Yesterday my partner and I took a class on 3-dimensional needle felting at the local community college. They offer a lot of "continuing education" classes conducted by community members (everything from art to yoga to film discussion). This class particularly interested us because we both want to create dolls and finger puppets for our child-on-the-way. I also enjoy creating nature tables and wanted to learn how to make characters for my themes (I'm planning on a winter theme next with king winter on skis, especially because snow is already in the forecast for midweek.) Anyhow, we had a blast at the class and even created these little figures (I did the gnome and sheep).
It is a very soothing exercise and much easier than I thought. The wool is very forgiving, so if I mess up, I just add more wool and keep shaping. The supply list is small as well; a large needle, a piece of foam to work on, and the wool. Pipecleaners can also be used for a skeletal system like I did with my sheep. Someone in the class even said she planned on using wool from sweaters that had been shrunken. Since I don't knit, I now have a handwork craft to sit by the fire and work on this winter.

3 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those turned out nice! I took a class once, but I poked my own hand more often than the wool. Those barbed needles are wicked.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

I only drew blood once, but poked myself maybe five times-the needles are definitely wicked. They would never let us bring them on a plane.

 
At 2:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are great! My kids and I used to keep a nature table, but we have so little space now that we haven't in a long time.
My favorite winter table had white feathers suspended from the ceiling to simulate falling snow.
You've inspired me to make space for one again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home