Friday, October 13, 2006

Simplicity, Consumerism, and Back Again

Lately, as I have been surfing around the web of simplicity and homesteading blogs, a feeling of hope has overcome me. I was lucky in a sense, although I didn't always realize it as a child, to be brought up by my parents who were attempting a simple life. My father was an old hippie and my mother was brought up Mennonite who still followed many of their philosophies.
Me, twenty some years ago

We were homesteaders in a way. We had a huge organic garden and sold food at the farmers market (not that common in Illinois in the early to mid 80's). We canned and preserved 100's of quarts of food yearly. My father had a job as a lab technician and my mother was a stay at home mom. We hardly ever went shopping, except for groceries, so my wardrobe consisted of hand-me-downs or cheap souvenir t-shirts of places we visited. I was brought up on venison and non-pasteurized milk from our dairy farming neighbor. We had a very small black and white television (no VCR) so my dad could watch the occasional sports game. We had one old car or truck that seemed to accomplish all that we needed. At some point in my early 20's I went through a phase where I enjoyed shopping, eating out at chain restaurants, watching television and movies, going to college with the intention of having a high paying job and a nice Volvo or Mercedes. While I never fit the stereotype of the suburbia over-consumer, I did seem to be going in the wrong direction. When I moved from Illinois to Northern Wisconsin, I once again started on the simple path. It has been a gradual progression, but I feel as though I am learning more and accomplishing more each day. One of my accomplishments has been to discover items that I feel that I can live without and to develop a list of items or practices that I would like to be free of.

Items that I live without
1. Television. (Of course I have my iMac so I still watch the occasional dvd and keep up with current events)
2. Microwave. (Ever since I had one that blew up and had to pay $20 to dispose of it, I found I no longer need it.)
3. Stereo system. (once again my iMac seems to be all I need for music)
4. Dishwasher
5. Tupperware (old yogurt containers and jars are wonderful)
6. Snowblower (sometimes I wish I had one)
7. Bed. (We do have a futon, which can be restuffed so there is no need to ever buy box springs or mattress. Plus it can be a couch.)
8. Big truck or SUV. (My Subaru does all of the hauling I need)
9. I'm sure there are more, but I'm going blank

Items or practices I am striving to reduce
1. Fewer lights/lamps and more usage of oil lamps and candles
2. Never use the dryer. I do have a drying rack that I need to use more.
3. Less driving to town.
4. Buying books (especially fiction). I am an avid library user, but I still spend too much on books. I can wait for a new book to get to my library.
5. Buy less clothes. Most of my clothes are from the thrift shop, but we have an awesome sewing machine that we could use to make more.
6. Buy less fruit and veggies out of season.
7. Once again I'm sure there are more, but it's a start.

We can all take steps to reduce things that we feel that we don't need. Of course they will not all be the same ( I don't really want to give up my computer and I'm sure others don't want to give up their TV), but any small steps we take will enhance our lives as well as the planet's.

8 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My ingraines sense of laziness is the leading cause for me going toward a more simple life. Shopping and consumerism in general is too much work. I dislike all sorts of work.

Bean Counter
piconap.com/sso

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Liz said...

I like your lists.

My parents weren't really homesteaders, but my dad was a beekeeper, and they went through an earthy phase. My grandparents are really my inspiration on how to live: as immigrants and survivors of the Depression, they were frugal, grew their own food and lived simple lives. I never thought they looked deprived.

We still do have tv, and watch maybe 2 hours a week, and couldn't live without our truck (which only gets driven 800 miles a year). But there's much that we do without, like central heat. :)

Any used bookshops in your area?

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps... but our truck is a "peanut": a 1991 Toyota 4x4. Indispensible for our wood harvest and getting compost.

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Bean Counter:
I agree shopping is a lot of work. Sometimes I'll hit the 3 thrift shops in town and then I need to unwind in the coffee shop (my version of a tavern).

Liz:
Like your grandparents, my Mennonite Granparents and family in Iowa are pretty inspirational to me as well. Actually I may get a little truck that I can run on boidiesel someday, I admit they are great for many things. Luckily we do have a used bookstore that is actually a nice little store. I also use half.com so really I hardly ever buy new new books.

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone {child} put dirt in the gas tank of our truck and we tried to haul feed in the trunk of a Pontiac phoenix, I need a truck. I can not go without books, luckily for me I belong to bookcrossing.com and my wonderful online friends send me books that they think I need to read. I have a couple thousand around the house. We still have a tv as I am a movie junkie {horror B flicks}

My parents.. dad was a beatnik motorcycle cop in the Canal Zone and my mother a hippy from LA. So I had a mix of consumerism and frugality. Thrift stores and Sears.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Gavi said...

What a great post! I like the description of your childhood and I like your lists. Gives me some stuff to consider.

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great picture!

(Just found your blog. :-)

It's so nice to find you and Liz and Emme and others. I'm learning a lot from you all. With all the spenders/collectors in my life, it helps to feel like there are other around me with the same goals. Even if you're in other states.

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great picture!

(Just found your blog. :-)

It's so nice to find you and Liz and Emme and others. I'm learning a lot from you all. With all the spenders/collectors in my life, it helps to feel like there are other around me with the same goals. Even if you're in other states.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home