Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Grosbeaks are Here and Other Observations From Fish Creek


This morning I was pleasantly interrupted from my morning lounging by Moh's excitement of large yellow birds at the bird feeder. I knew before I got up that the evening grosbeaks had arrived. I spotted 3 pair in all. Now I'm hoping the pine grosbeaks will appear.

I have a brisk hike through the woods surrounding our home that I try to walk regularly. It's interesting to take note of the new activity that happens-whether it be the freezing creek, new mushrooms, a fallen tree, or an old nest that blew out of a tree. Yesterday I discovered a bunch of wood chips around the base of a tree. When I got closer I noticed two large holes in the tree from what I am guessing is from a pileated woodpecker.









A little farther a long I noticed a hole at the base of a snag. I'm not sure what has made it's home down there. Surprisingly the dogs, Emma and Mister, weren't too interested.
Crossing the creek I was treated to a glorious view of the setting sun shining on the towering birches.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 1:47 AM, Blogger The Fool said...

Thanks for sharing the photos. Cool birds. There's not much color fluttering about up here at this time of year. Appreciate the reminder.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Mone said...

What beautiful pictures. I have to admit that I needed to translate the word Gosebeak - Kernbeißer in german. Even worst, I had no idea what kind of bird this is, so I searched the net. According to some bird experts are those birds living all over Europe except for Ireland.
I dont think I have seen one over here in Germany. We have a lot of sparrows.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Beautiful pictures. Don't look like you have much snow there.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

the fool: They are very colourful birds-they sort of are like little parrots out there.

mone: I think they tend to stick to he country or perhaps a well-sed feeder. It's funny I haven't seen any sparrows since summer.

peppylady: Thanks. Yeah we are having a major drought and warmer temps. It really sucks. I miss winter. I may be back out in Idaho or BC by next winter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home