Wednesday, December 20, 2006

We Are What We Drive?


I drive an older model Subaru Wagon. It has the roof rack, ski box, and bike attachment, so yeah, I know I look like a yuppie kid. It doesn't get very good gas mileage (just under 30 mpg), but is still better than most SUV's. I also wish it was diesel so I could run it on veggie oil. Still, the car has met my purposes; everything from traveling the mountain roads of Idaho, a cross-country journey to New York, living in it for a summer (I can actually sleep in the back of it), and hauling my giant rototiller around. Moh drives, or well did- we left it at my mom's in Illinois, a beat-up old Mazda (above), which gets awesome gas mileage.

One thing I never thought about was how my car spoke of my political philosophy. Then the other day, while filling up at a local gas station, I pulled up behind another green Subaru. While standing at the pump, an older gentleman came out of the station, took a double take at my car, perhaps at my anti-war and anti-free trade stickers, and then approached me. He told me that he has always been conservative politically, but ever since he sold his big truck and bought a Subaru, his friends call him a "goddamn liberal". He told me the story very light-heartedly and jokingly, but it made me think. Do we associate our autos with political philosophies? Volvo's have always been regarded as a lefty yuppie car. I can't imagine a green progressive driving a Hummer or even a Cadillac. BMW's are for rich Republicans right? Beats me. We need one of those online quizzes for our answers. What does your car say about you?

Labels:

14 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger e4 said...

Huh... Take away the ski box and the bike attachment, and swap the beat up Mazda for a beat up Honda, and you might be me...

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger The Fool said...

My Harley sez that my cages don't say anything about me. The current scoot is black (the only color), stripped to the basics, and set up only for solo riding. ;)

 
At 2:36 AM, Blogger M said...

That I can't afford to fix the dents from a recent accident or the broken window? That my life's a mess and I'm not rolling in dough? But also that I don't believe in animal cruelty, I'm a vegetarian, and that I love Texas and New York (all my bumper stickers).

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Mone said...

I'm not sure... I've had a few cars so far and for me, a car has to be dependable. Thats why I personally stuck with Toyota and Honda. Do I need to depend on someone?...
I've driven Cadillacs, Porsche and other (more expansive)cars I could never afford. That sure is fun, but I dont like the stare of people at me.

Merry Christmas sweetie.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger El said...

My husband drives the sticker-encrusted Volvo wagon (my fave sticker? "Don't pray in my school and I won't think in your church") and I drive the diesel VW Golf (45mpg) with only a tiny PETA "fish" that's actually a carrot that says GoVEG. Yes, we are what we drive. It's okay. Embrace who you are.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Dancingfarmer said...

Mine's a vw golf---great for putting down the seat and shoving in some sheep to transport (it can hold 4 of them). Beats a big truck any day of the week---though we haven't figured out how to get the cows in it yet hmmm....
It's diesel and if we can't get bio it still gets 45 or more miles to the gallon and until the sticker wore off it also proudly stated "Support local farmers---eat local, eat organic." *Reminder to self---get new sticker*
Have a great holiday season!

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm.....mine is a 1995 Buick wagon. With way too many bumper stickers on it.:) You can't miss me.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Niobium said...

I have a 2004 ford focus which gets about 36mpg. Of all the cars I've owned, this has been my favorite: reliable, fast, small, good on gas.

But ooohhhhh how I dream of a big ol' luxury car like a Cadilac.

 
At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a 1949 servi-car, and drive a 1999 Ford pick-up. Before that I had a Volvo wagon before I cracked the engine. My husband drives a 1981 flathead and drives a 1982 Phoenix. I have no idea what that says about us, though I have noticed that there are a lot of older gentlemen that drive the same truck I do.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger gtr said...

Ah, the fellowship of the Suby's... I drove one for years, and was just comparing notes with another Subaru driver yesterday, fondly remembering my old wagon.

I guess Subaru drivers tend to be somewhat liberal, but I think it speaks to what we want to DO with the car. Haul stuff? Drive down long, unplowed driveways? Or wear fancy suits and high heels and drive to business meetings?

I've never yearned for a "status" car, but I guess I'm somewhat proud of my dirty, rusty old '91 Honda 4WD wagon: it shows that I do USEFUL things with my car, and have higher priorities than buying the latest thing.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Stephanie Appleton said...

Dh drives a '98 Subaru. They are fairly popular here b/c of AWD and we are in the hills. Yet is still considered more yuppie. People say we confuse them, we have a Subaru, he sings opera and has some cool gadgets (mostly for work.) Yet we live in the woods, eat wild foods and he hunts. We don't fit anyone's mold and that is ok with us!

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Emme said...

We had a subaru - sold it to get an old Mercedes and convert it to run on Waste Veggie Oil. Love it!

I drive (when I drive) a Volvo wagon. Fits the entire family. What does it say about us? hmmm

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

sounds like a buncha lefties ta me.

Thanks everyone!

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger crallspace said...

I think cars speak volumes about our politics. For instance, not all HUGE SUV drivers are necessarily Republican, but it's safe to say they don't give 2 shits about the environment and are likely self-centered assholes. Pretty much the same thing as Republicans.

But I've seen W stickers on Subarus... and I know some non-liberal people who drive them.

I think my bike speaks to my politics, and the car I do own (our only car) gets decent mileage. Our next car will hopefully be veggie oil powered or electric and even if that doesn't give my politics away, the stickers I will put on will hopefully do the trick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home