Monday, January 01, 2007


We Are What We Drive Part 2


Growing up in a small town in Illinois wasn't very exciting. It was the desire of most teenagers to want their own car. A car meant we could find or create our own fun. We didn't want to have to ask our parents to use their Bonneville or Mercury- we wanted our own freedom. I especially needed a vehicle because I lived about six miles out of town. It was tough to get my friends to spend precious gas money to come pick me up.

By the time I was 15 I was already shopping around for the perfect car to buy. Of course my parents would have to help because I only had a little money saved up. I searched the classified and tooled through the used car lots with my older driving friend. At the time I liked old classic cars from the late sixties. I thought an old GTO would be perfect. My parents thought differently. When the day arrived for a car, my money already spent on concert tickets, my father bought me a 1977 Impala for $400. The car was the ugliest thing in town. Lime green cracked vinyl roof, rusted avocado green body, torn bench seats, Am/FM radio with blown out speakers, but still it would have to do. I stuck some Grateful Dead stickers on it, bought a tape deck, wired up some old stereo speakers, pinned-up the sagging roof fabric, and placed some blankets over the seats. It was good to go.

Looking back the car was an environmental nightmare. It leaked and burned about a quart of oil a day and got around nine miles to the gallon. My friend and I actually drove the thing up to the UP of Michigan to go camping when we were sixteen. I don't even want to think about how many gallons of gas we consumed on that trip.

In retrospect, for $400 the car took me many places and gave me some good times- concerts, road trips, awkward romantic experiences, and of course freedom. So what did the car say about me? Poor? Whitetrash? Hippie kid? Yeah, the innocence of youth.
The only picture I could find of the beast. Taken during a camping trip to northern Wisconsin with my friend when we were 16, in June 1993.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger Toby said...

Haha. First cars make for great stories. Mine was a '72 Cutlass back in 1984. Avacado green with a cracked black vinyl roof and ripped up bench seats. It had an 8-track player. It was a true chick magnet. I don't remember how much I payed for it, but I'm sure it wasn't over $400.

Happy New Year.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Carla said...

That's great!!! I love car stories...I'm sure we all have a few ;) Happy New Year.

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger The Fool said...

My first car was a 1968 Firebird in 1974. The speedometer pegged out at 180 miles an hour. What does it say about me? I'm lucky to be alive.

There have been many vehichles over the years. I was at one time totally crazy about them. I've gotten better. But these were the faves:

Favorite Old Truck: 1938 Ford Flatbed - mechanical brakes & a crank start on the front. Reliable as hell. I drove it through several winters.

Favorite Motorcycle: 1941 BSA or my current Harley. Hard choice. Lot of sentimentality in the former; current affair with the latter.

Favorite Car: 1951 Jaguar XK120 Roaster. I owned this car for 10 years. The car was originally intended for rallies, so it handled Fairbanks' roads just fine. It was a dream.

But now? I cannot find any satisfaction in identifying or even owning a vehichle. I currently have "just the car" (for errands and getting to work), and the Harley (which is an entirely different form of travel). I refer to my current car by color. It's just another ubiquitous "gray car." I'd be wise to trade it for a goat.

Still, there are many memories tied up in cars. They certainly had their spell on me.

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger The Fool said...

Quiet on your post this week. Are congratulations in order? Is there a new being to welcome to this world?

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Etzel Pangloss said...

I've a 'sad' confession. I've always refused to own a car no matter how inconvenient it has often made my life.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I'm having my suspicions about a new arrival as well!

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

toby: Our 1st cars sound pretty similar. I'm not sure about it being a chick magnet, maybe because I at least had a car....

tf:My most memorable car was a 1964 Corvair...I may have to do a post on that. What a story that one has.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home