Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Tree Ogham


As I briefly noted in my last post, I have started a project of creating Ogham Tree cards for KIA to use as a visualisation development tool. The Ogham (the "g" is silent) was an early alphabet used by the druids. Each of the symbols, or fedha, represents one of the sacred trees or shrubs recognised by the druids. There are 20 in all. A chart of the fedha and corresponding trees can be found here. The druids believed that each of the trees contained special healing properties and individual wisdom. The spirit of a given tree was called upon for a variety reasons, everything from fertility to inspiration to clarity.

I have decided to respect this ancient wisdom and pass it along to KIA. Our goal is to introduce KIA to a very earth-centered style of learning. In addition to the silhouette Ogham cards, I also plan to carve the symbols into the corresponding wood for each of the trees (although not all of the trees grow around here so I'm still trying to figure out all of the details). This will be useful to KIA for touch and becoming familiar with each of the trees.

Some may ask why I feel the need to dwell in such ancient "mythology" or teach impractical skills. However, I believe that creating a closer bond with the Earth is exactly what many children lack these days. With the explosion of video game, music devices, cable/satellite TV, and the constant barrage of extracurricular sports and activities, children are drifting away from the magic of our natural world. As a parent, I feel it is my responsibility to teach environmental ethics, species identification, conservation, and an all around love and appreciation for nature. It's definitely a journey that I am willing to take.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 1:06 AM, Blogger The Fool said...

I commend you Burdock, and wish you the best on your teaching journey.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Passing along knowledge seems very instinctive. Focusing on nature is where my passion is.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Carla said...

As an educator, I must say that learning is never impractical and who are we to judge the wisdom of the past? I am sure Kia will benefit from your efforts in ways that you never imagined. Good luck on this exciting journey.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Emme said...

symbols are very important in the development of language and understanding our world. I commend you for teaching Kia

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Dancingfarmer said...

Good idea.
We have also tried to teach our children things not "usual". Though my daughter seems to be a product of her generation (how that happened???) I am sure she will eventually find use in what we have taught her. My son on the other hand seems to love working with his hands and doing the "not normal". To each his own---it takes all types. Eventually people may need the "odd" knowledge that we all have--or that we have taught our children. They say it only takes one generation of not teaching things for that knowledge to be lost. Keep teaching Burdockboy---knowledge is power.
Monica

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Stephanie Appleton said...

Though we have a slightly different slant, we also feel teaching them about nature is very important. They pick it up so quick when they are little. When we take hikes they are often the ones pointing out things to us!

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger M said...

I never feel more grounded than when I am surrounded by nature. I think that's because I'm an "earth" sign (if you believe in such things--I do). But regardless of the sign of the Zodiac, any person would do well to be more familiar to and closer to nature, I think. It is the element closest to us humans, I believe. I don't know if that made any sense. The point is, I think what you're doing is awesome!

 
At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is wonderful! I find it very loving and nurturing that you are making these for your daughter. Always keep them for I'm sure she will someday treasure that you so patiently made them for her.
You should read Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. Or have you?

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Carla: Thanks. I belive any type of learning is beneficial. The word itself speaks wonders.

emme:
I also believe symbols are more important than many think. We also plan on teaching sign language from an early age.

Monica:
Each child will take from a teaching what he or she wants. Some may be stored for later, but just being introduced to ideas is important. I will not push anything on KIA. I will present what I feel is important and she will decide what use it is to her. Thanks for sharing your experience.

stephanie:
I imagine you are teaching many valuable lessons to your children. I'm glad nature is so important. And you are correct children do point out a lot on nature hikes. Perhaps because they are more observant and more intrigued. Maybe just because they are closer to the ground :)

M: Nature helped me through some troubled times and helped me to ground as well. Have you heard of ecospychology? I may do a post on that soon.

I believe the zodiac, especially the sun and moon signs, is one of the things that make up our personality. I also believe genetics, temperaments, body types, environment, and health play important rolls as well. BTW I am a fire sign.

Kim:
Thanks.
I have not read Last Child in the Woods (or even heard of it).
I just looked it up and it sounds marvelous. I will be ordering it ILL or buy it on 1/2.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home