Friday, September 26, 2008

I love Board Games

It's getting to be that time of year here in North Idaho where the days grow shorter, the nights get colder, and the sky becomes cloudier. I begin drinking more espresso, making more soups, and baking more breads and muffins. My reading list gets some more attention and the board games come out of the storage room. Ever since I was a child I loved board games. I have fond memories of staying home from school sick and playing Careers, Scrabble, yahtzee, and Monopoly. In Junior High and Highschool I began playing Dungeons and Dragons with friends often to the angst of teachers (which I don't understand, because unlike video games we were reading and using our imagination). Now in my adult life, I've gained a few new favourites; Carcassone, Scotland Yard, Up the River, and The Garden Game from Ampersand Press which has some other great Nature games. I'm usually not one for advertising, but it's a great company worth checking out and supporting.



As for the game, here's how the Object on the Rules of Play sheet reads;
Players plant their garden with "Garden Cards", trying to get and keep as many cards as they can. In addition, players try to make "pollinating sets"; 2 of the same kinds of Plant cards with a Pollinator card. The Pollinator must be one named on the Plant cards. The Garden Cards symbolize success with plants in the garden; the pollinating sets symbolize successful seed production for next year's garden.


The playing pieces are stones, the spinner is called the "weather Station", and the cards drawn are Gardener's Almanac Cards. One example reads;
Frost Bite. A Few warm, sunny days fooled you into thinking it was safe to move plants outside. A late cold snap came and froze them. Lose a garden card


Anyhow, it's a fun game and great for kids 8 and up. It gets kids interested in the garden and is very educational. The Rules book even contains a detailed "gardener's glossary and a background to "The Life Cycle of Plants".

I'm definitely playing it this weekend. It's been awhile.

5 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I like playing both board games and card games.
Never heard of this company before but it gave me some ideal for the holidays.

Part of my son Bart Education in 6th grade they played Risk.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Peppy:
I used to enjoy Risk when I was in highschool. Lately I've discovered there is a wealth of alternative games out there-many from Europe.

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger Carla said...

I hear you on it being the time of year to pull out those games. It absolutely poured here today. Definitely an indoor, game sort of day.

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the sort of hombre who passions to taste recent things. Presently I am fabricating my private solar panels. I am doing it all alone without the help of my men. I'm using the internet as the only path to acheive this. I ran across a truly brilliant website that explains how to create solar panels and so on. The website explains all the steps needed for solar panel construction.

I am not exactly sure bout how correct the info given there is. If some guys over here who had xp with these things can have a see and give your feedback in the site it will be awesome and I'd extremely value it, cauze I really lav [URL=http://solar-panel-construction.com]solar panel construction[/URL].

Thanks for reading this. U guys are the best.

 
At 4:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a secondhand copy of this game but i cant fine the rules for playing it, could you help?
Regards Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home