Thursday, May 22, 2008

Troubled Bridge Over Water

About a week ago I had an interesting meeting with my neighbors. It wasn't about an obnoxious neighbor, helping a neighbor in trouble, or a barn raising event-it was something I have never encountered. It was about a failing bridge. There are about ten families that live down the same road I do and are forced to cross a sketchy bridge over Sand Creek. Currently it's our only way out. It's not a county or state road so the homeowners are on their own. I guess since we rent we don't have a fiscal responsibility, but we will be the ones impacted if nothing gets done.

Well after about a half an hour of going over costs and ideas, the consensus was to try and find out about getting a flat railroad car to place over the bridge. That way no engineers will need to be involved in the building process (like a giant covert would require) and it may be the most economic. I haven't heard of the progress, but I really don't like crossing it anymore. Plus I doubt that our energy company would drive across it to deliver propane.

Looking West to the Homesites

A Close-up to the sketchyness

5 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

OK that is incredibly creepy. How far of a drop is that? How far is that bridge from your actual house? From the look of that I would park the car and walk from there but I guess with a little one in tow that is less of an option. Be safe.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Carla said...

That is definitely a rickety looking old bridge. I would certainly leave me a little nervous crossing over it.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Does Northern lights have an easment up that road and if they do.
They may can help.
Their power line went over our road and they did some maintenance.

It sure wouldn't hurt to look in to it.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Toby said...

I've been out of the loop, are you still in Wisconsin?

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

maggie;
the drop is only about 15 feet and the creek is very shallow, but it's still freaky. Our house is only about .75 miles so it's not far.

Carla:
It is scary. I'm not sure whether to go real slow over it or fast.

Peppy:
I'm not sure about Northern Lights. The railroad was no help, but Northern Lights seem easier to deal with. Thanks.

Toby:
Hello. No I've been in Idaho for almost a year now. I just haven't been blogging much since I've been out here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home