Friday, November 10, 2006

A Couple Of Things That I Like About The Ashland Area

A few weeks ago I did a post on things that bug me about where I live. Well, with the positive energy from some of the results of the recent elections, I am doing a more favourable tribute to the Ashland, Wisconsin area. The good things are:

* Lake Superior. Being the largest lake in the world (and the most pristine of the Great Lakes) there is no shortage of gorgeous beaches or rocky shorelines. Many of its beaches are remote enough to find a quiet evening for a bonfire and sleep on the beach.

*The best artesian water I have ever had. There are several wells in the area with cold, delicious water bubbling right out of the ground. It's always a great place to strike up a conversation with someone.

*The Chapple Street Triangle. The Chapple Street Triangle is a title known locally for the three businesses on the 200 block of Chapple Avenue (the Chequamegon Food Co-op, The Black Cat Coffee House, and The Daily Bread.) The Co-op does a great job of buying local seasonal food. They have a decent bulk section with reused jars available. My partner and I volunteer there 8 hours a month for a 20% discount on our purchases. The Black Cat is a vegetarian cafe (with the occasional local fish stew) that brews organic coffees and espressos. The perfect place to run into friends on a cold snowy day. The Daily Bread is a European style bakery which uses organic flours and many local ingredients. They also carry some pre-made sandwiches and salads. I have to be careful of the pastries though.

*Natural Areas for Recreation. For being in the Midwest the area seems pretty natural. It was heavily logged in the past (and parts still are), but there are some great inland lakes, hiking and cross-country ski trails, waterfalls, terrific rivers for canoeing, national and state forests, and even a couple primitive wilderness areas. Wildlife is abundant-too many deer, wolves, bears, a small elk herd, and even the occasional moose.

These are just a couple of the things I like about the area. My question is: What do you love about where you live?

5 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do I love about my area?

We have the sweetest well water I have ever had.

We have two rivers on either side of us with decent fishing.

Free range peacocks.

Nothing to obstruct a view that goes miles and miles over the prairie.

Unfortunately the little town is trying to become a suburb, and we are losing most of our small business, the co-op was shut down 2 years ago. So there isn't much I can say about it.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger The Fool said...

A Dozen Reasons Why I Love Fairbanks/Alaska:
* Mountains! - The Alaska Range & Denali
* The Midnight Sun
* The Northern Lights
* Abundant Wildlife
* 360 miles to the next city
* Frontier Spirit kicks ass!
* Towns without roads to them
* A state population of 1 person per square mile
* Wilderness, real wilderness
* Separatist attitude w/Canada as a buffer zone - we refer to the continental US as "Outside," or "The Lower 48."
* Diversity
* And a "Big Mac" is Mt. McKinley!

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Things I love about the 100 Acre Wood
- I feel like I am in my own world (until the leaves fall as I posted)
- I am close to the rest of the world when I want to be part of it.
- The kids can have "adventures" in the woods and freedom to explore.
- Hills and Hollows to explore
- Plenty of wild foods to forage (I am still learning about these)
- Wildlife - deer, turkey, fox, birds

Things I love beyond the 100 Acre Wood
- The people- simple, resourceful, hard working, a sense of community
- a rural feel, even in the city
- a rich and proud history

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger gtr said...

What do I love about my homeplace?

Proximity to Lake Superior

Enough college town activity to provide a bit of culture

A pretty good Co-op

our House is far from the road; the long driveway provides solitude and security for us and our free-range chickens (and cats)

Zoning of our land allows wandering chickens (and occasional cats)

Enough of an economy to provide a few "real jobs" in which to work to save money for later, more free living!

(I'll admit to a bit of South Shore envy, though... used to live over there, love the sunsets!)

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

phelan: I have to agree with the beauty of a prairie view. Still, nothing stops the wind either.

the fool: I will get to Alaska someday. The endless wilderness is something I have to experience. Well, the "real" Bic Mac too.

stephanie: 100 acre woods sounds similar to the plot of woods I am living-but more hilly and warm.

gtr: The northshore is great. The Superior Hiking Trail is amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home