Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Why is Price more Important Than Quality or Safety When It Comes To Our Food?


This was yet another question presented in The Omnivore's Dilemma (I'm finally almost finished). We as a consuming nation presented with Wal*Mart's to offer Everyday Low Prices, have become so obsessed with price we have turned a blind eye to the nature of our food. As Pollan points out:

"Our food system depends on consumers' not knowing much about it beyond the price disclosed by the checkout scanner. Cheapness and ignorance are mutually reinforcing."

This ignorance is how people are able to accept buying meat that comes from large CAFO's where the animals are treated inhumanely and pumped full of corn and drugs. I'm working on a "Factory Fresh" label I would like to put on some random meat packages at the local grocery store. Or, "Our meat has more drugs than Major League Baseball". Or even "Caged For Your Convenience". They are still a work in progress(:

Although price is often what consumers claim keeps them from buying healthy and local food, as Pollan also mentions, its often that people choose not to buy better food because they choose to spend their money elsewhere. Pollan suggests we spend one fifth of our income on food, down from one tenth in the 1950's. Instead of choosing local or organic food, Americans today are spending their money on items such as expensive electronics and cell phones. All other nations spend more of their income on food. Does that mean we are lucky? Hardly. Our cheap food is a direct result of subsidies and unsustainable agricultural practices. We may pay less at the checkout, but we pay more through taxes, health costs, pollution, and ethics.

I'm amazed at how many people do more research buying a television via Consumer Reports and flyers than their own food. We really need to get our priorities straight.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 1:24 AM, Blogger The Fool said...

"Hungry Planet: What the World Eats" is a great book as an eye-opener of our eating habits. Your library probably has it. It displays the household food contents of families around the world. Our diet is such an artifice.
There is a companion book - "It's a Material World" - which displays all of the household material goods of families around the world.
Thanks for sharing thoughts from the book...I've added it to my search list for my next venture to the library.

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Phelan said...

As long as we have companies like Wal-mart and Cargil, we will have people that blindly follow their lead. Aren't they looking out for us? HA! The blog small meadow Farm was talking about the differences of grain feed and fre-range cattle.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

the Fool: Hungry Planet-I'm writing it down (I'm off to the library this morning)

phelan:I still think subsidies is what makes all of this possible. It would be nice to phase these out and redirect them to farmers growing real food with sond practices instead of to benefit Cargill and ADM.

Oh and don't you love the child cash register with a credit card. What cute little consumers we are breeding.

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second Hungry Planet and Material World. You'll want to own them.Check Half.com. That's where I got both of mine.
I'm picking up Omnivores Dilemma tonite at the library.
Thanks for a great blog~lots of food for thought.
Kim in IN.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I think majority of us including I turn a blind eye to lot of things.

I buy things from places that I know has human right violation.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger coldH2O said...

While I agree, generally,isn't 10% less than 20%? I suppose that folks can't really see the long-term value of healthy food, particularly since a life of 70+ years seems awfully good to a 15 year old. While it's true that people will follow price, let's not blame the victim here? Is it wrong for a father to spend a dollar on iceberg lettuce (I'm making up prices here.) or twice as much for arugala. Did I spell that right? It's the way we have allowed our economy to be planned. We need no emphasis on investor value & total emphasis on community/societal health.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

kim: Thanks. I haven't made it to the Library yet, but I probably will order it there before I buy-I have so many books I'm trying to downsize. But I'm glad you second it.

Peppylady; our society is set up to turn a blind eye-it's easy to do. I am definitely no saint, I just try to be aware as possible and make as many wise choices as I can.

coldh20: I am an overly idealistic person, I guess that is why I speak of making decisions I feel are sound. I do agree that the way our economy is set up leads to the way purchases are made. However, I believe that if people thought more about the history of the product they were purchasing, some (not all) may decide on another product even if it cost a bit more. Our actions do lead to a better future even when we are battling giant corporations and "one size fits all" government policies.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger El said...

In a word: Priorities. People prioritize their big-screen tvs and skimp on their food.

I found it interesting that, when pregnant, everyone was very concerned about what I was eating. As my diet has been vegan/vegatarian/organic for years, being pregnant wasn't a dietary switch. But so many pregnant women eat the best food they can and then when they're not eating for two (or two plus) they're back at the drivethru. But they think they're healthy when they get their kids organic milk.

I just don't get it: aren't you worth the best food you can put into yourself? Or are you throwaway, just like that bag of chips?

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

el: You totally nailed it with the pregnancy issue. I mean I am glad women care enough to adapt a healthy lifestyle for their developing fetus, but their own body is also important.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Another great post!

I'm continually fascinated by people who just don't care--who'd rather spend on electronic toys, or expensive clothing than feed themselves well.

Of course, I'm of the opinon that eating healthful, sustainably harvested foods and maintaining a budget are not mutually exclusive; rather, it's about education and choices.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home