Monday, November 13, 2006

Winter Is Here, Soup Is On

We awoke to another dose of wet snow this morning. Thus far the season has been fairly dry, but cold. Hopefully we will see a snowy winter to make up for the drought the Northland is experiencing.

With winter, also comes the time to prepare hearty soups to warm the soul. The other day I prepared a simple, yet wonderful sausage kale soup. To balance the rich salty flavour of the sausage, I made a side of cranberries sweetened with maple syrup. I was still able to get local leeks, garlic, potatoes, wild rice, cranberries, maple syrup, and the kale was from Minnesota so this was a perfect meal from the Northland.


Sausage Kale Soup

2-3 Italian or similar sausages (casings removed and broken into pieces)
4 C Chicken Broth
1 Leek, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 T herbs (oregano, sage, thyme, rosemary-any combination)
3 small potatoes, cubed
3 C kale, coarsely chopped
salt & pepper to taste

-in a soup pot heat the sausage on medium heat until fully cooked
-add leek, garlic. and herbs and saute until soft
-add chicken broth and heat until hot
-add potatoes and cook until almost tender
-add kale and heat until potatoes and kale is cooked to preference

*I also added some leftover wild rice-very tasty. White beans would also go well in this soup.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like a winter wonderland already. Pretty, but glad it isn't here. . . yet!

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been raining here for the last couple days; it hasn't been cold enough for snow, which is fine with me.

The soup looks very yummy.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

stephanie: The snow has already melted, but I'm ready for it to stay. I'm tired of all of the gray.

nio: thanks, it was yummy. I just made some similar soup with barley amd whitefish.

 
At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that sounds good! Will have to try it out.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Mutableblue said...

ooh, that soup sounds delicious. I'm getting to soup-making mode. We're unseasonably warm here in NH (not by much but we are) so my pasta fagioli, is on hold and my curried squash soup is still frozen. After the glut-fest next week I'll make a turkey/barley soup.

I have a bed of kale that is now screaming for sausage.

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger Emme said...

The soup looks great! And it is local - even better! I love this time of year -- soup, snow, the chill in the air.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Phelan said...

hmmm...the second anonymous post was mine. I wonder what happened.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger coldH2O said...

Paul Horning STew!

Go Packers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home