Tuesday, December 05, 2006

When I Grow Up I Want To Be A Forest Ranger Like Ranger Rick



Well at least that's what I thought when I was seven. Now I am thirty and have less insight on what I want "to be" than when I was a child. Of course this indecisiveness has always been with me to certain extent. In highschool I was sure I wanted to be an artist. I dropped most of my accelerated preparatory classes and took mostly art classes, literature classes, and study halls. Then, before I graduated highschool, I took off to Oregon with a friend and we lived out of his car. I thought being a street kid may create more inspiration on an artistic level, but I was wrong. All that happened was I got homesick and depressed. Before the rainy season hit, I headed back to Illinois, finished highschool and started working in a factory. I quickly decided that I wanted to go to college because the monotany of the factory started to get to me. So three colleges in three different states, seven years, four majors, and 20 grand in student loans later, I have a bachelor of science degree focused on environmental studies. I have done two internships in environmental health, but neither were entirely what I was looking for. I have contemplated getting a masters degree in library science because I have worked at so many different libraries. I would really enjoy working for a University library. But that means more school. teaching has also crossed my mind. Even nursing. Agriculture? Keep pursuing environmental related jobs? I really don't know anymore. I guess I never did.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you'll figure it out, I have faith in that.

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Mone said...

Maybe Greenpeace would be a good choice??

You'll know it as it gets to you...

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a firm believer that most of us don't know what we want to do with our lives. And I also believe one shouldn't be pushed into deciding when they're 18.

COllege is not the holy grail academia makes it out to be.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger The Fool said...

I only know you from our passings between blogs, but you seem to be a person with a care, and of good intent. I hope you find what you're looking for.

You can still be a forest ranger. Perhaps a nomadic lifestyle through the National Park Service circuit? It might be a place to mix your talents and what you enjoy. Perhaps, a nomadic, family-focused lifestyle, a few seasons here, a few there? I'm sure Emma would dig it. They'd make for some nice backyards for raising kids too. Just a notion...and when I consider it...what I know of "National Parks" is what we have in Alaska. They might be of a different ilk than what's in the Lower 48.

Any-which-way, only you will be able to answer the question. Best to you.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

phelan: Thanks. I do feel that things are changing and I will begin to truely know what I want.

mone: I have thought about Greenpeace, but I think at my stage in life that would be too much. Another nonprofit may be right though.

nio: I had a professor at college who would often tell us that today people change jobs and even careers much more often than before. Most people don't really know where their job will take them.

the fool: I have considered park work. Two years ago I got offered a job on the Oregon coast for the summer, but didn't take it. Still, it may be something that we choose to do. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home