Thursday, January 18, 2007


Waffles: Not Just For Breakfast Anymore

I love waffles, but have been against having yet another small electric appliance in the house that only does one thing. I already got rid of my electric coffee maker and electric beater, perhaps even my food processor will one day vanish from the kitchen, so an electric waffle maker was out of the question. Then last summer I was rummaging through my mother's attic and came across an old cast iron waffle maker designed for cooking on a range top (given its age probably a wood cooking stove). I was pretty excited. At the time I was living out of my car cooking over a coleman stove so the thought of waffles instead of pancakes and french toast was a welcomed change. However, due to the poor seasoning of the waffle iron and the decades of neglect, I was very disappointed the first time I tried using it. My result was a waffle caked to the iron with only a small remnant worth salvaging. Needless to say, the rest of the batter was transformed into pancakes.

Well recently, having a strong craving for waffles, I dug out the iron from the back of my cupboard and decided to give another go. Awhile back I asked Cheryl at Free Range Living if she had any tips on seasoning cast iron because she seemed to have a knack of bringing old cookware back from the dead. Gaining some advice, I soaked the inside in sunflower oil for about two days and wiped it clean with a rag. Then I sprayed it with canola oil and slowly heated it up to a fairly high temperature before adding the batter. The result: Crispy waffles that didn't stick and a wonderful dinner. Two thumbs way up.

Here's my quick and easy waffle recipe.

3/4 C white flour (I use Gold'n white)
3/4 C whole wheat flour (or experiment with other whole grains like rye or quinoa)
1 T sugar
1 T Baking Powder (rounded)
1/2 t salt
1 C milk
2 eggs separated- whites beaten
3 T oil
1 t vanilla

* combine dry ingredients
* combine wet ingredients (yokes but not whites)
* mix dry and wet together slowly
* fold in beaten egg whites
* Bake in preheated waffle iron
* enjoy with maple syrup or vanilla ice cream and seasonal fruit
or like in Utah, honey


My resurrected waffle iron circa 1910

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Stephanie Appleton said...

I love cast iron. I am slowly trying to convert all my cooking and baking pans to cast iron. I pick them up at yard sales and thrift stores.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Stephanie: I agree seasoned cast iron is awesome. I have tried to buy some Le crueset stuff, but it is so pricey. I do have a wok that I just love.

My recent expansion has been on stone bakeware (pampered chef has some great stuff). I got a stone muffin baker from Moh and a stone cookie sheet from her mother. If I must receive gifts at least it's practical stuff.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I'm glad that you were able to get your iron well seasoned - the waffles look great!

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet. I'll have to keep a look out for one of these.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Dancingfarmer said...

Lucky you!
I would love one of those. We used to live in a house that had central heat but we only used the wood stove (we had our own woods) while we lived there---we cooked on it all the time. Never found one of those waffle makers though. If I ever find one (not on ebay) I will snap it up!
Monica

 
At 2:11 AM, Blogger Carla said...

I've been looking for one of those stove top cast iron waffle makers for awhile now without success. The waffles look great! I'll be trying this recipe.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Stephanie Appleton said...

OH yeah stoneware is my second favorite also. Probably second b/c of price and that I never see it second hand. I too have gotten it as gifts.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

cheryl: thanks, now I need some more cast iron stuff to restore.

andy monica and carla: i know wisementrading.com sells one similar for under $20 US if new is okay. i bet finding a used one would be tough.

stephanie: i have never found good cooking stuff at thriftshops or garage sales.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger gtr said...

Hey-

I'm late to this thread again, but I'm planning to buy one of those great waffle irons at Lehman's- they have both a teflon version (evil) and a plain old cast iron version for a bout $20, too. Someday, we'll have waffles in the winter! (We do use an electric one in the summer, since our solar system makes too much power in the summer and we try to use it instead of anything propane or wood powered. Yay for waffles!

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best place to go for cast-iron help that I've found is the International Dutch Oven Society (IDOS).

There are forums at www.idos.com, and I think it was there that I saw some photos of a guy that was given a crusty, rusty old dutch oven and rejuvenated it via an electrolysis bath. Very cool stuff.

The Le Crueset stuff is nice, but with proper care, I think Lodge do just a nice a job at a fraction of the price.

 
At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Pampered Chef Stoneware

My wife seems to own at least half of the stuff Pampered Chef makes, and I agree that their stoneware is nice stuff. We have one of their large baking trays that we make everything on. It's about 4 years old now, and has turned a nice caramel-brown color thanks to all the baked-in oil. Their cookware is overpriced in my opinion, but the stoneware is nice.

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Bart:
dutch Oven Society. That's a crack-up. I'll check it out.

I agree the pampered chef stuff is overpriced. I tried to find another place to buy stoneware but to no avail. But I am happy with what I have.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home