Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Finally, A Bit Of Preserving

Since we are still getting situated here in North Idaho, I have had a tough time doing my usual harvesting and preserving activities. I guess we did pick some blueberries earlier this month that we froze. However, I didn't get around to making the blueberry jam that I was hoping can for holiday gifts. I also still want to make a bunch of dill pickles-which reminds me, I need to call someone about cukes tomorrow (jotting down note on paper).

Well, the other day at the Wednesday Sandpoint Farmers market we came across a pleasant surprise. There was a vendor selling local no spray peaches. A 25lb box only cost $15. That's pretty good up in these parts. We bought one box with the intention of canning some for winter. Tonight we finally got around to it. Still, it was no picnic. The hardest part was finding the pressure cooker in storage (the water bath pot was no where to be seen-as were our extra jars), figuring out the extra cooking time for higher elevation, and battling the limits of our tiny one room apartment. But with a little work, we came out successful. Below are some highlights.

The peaches cooking. I used a water-slight sugar solution. Next time I want to use some local apple juice (or my own) for the syrup solution.

KIA getting in on the fun, She actually got a hold of one and mashed it up right well.

The Pits. I don't know what to do with these things. I've tried composting them, but the take forever to biodegrade. I may change my name to Peter Peachpit and go around planting them.

I did have one casualty. When I removed the lid of the pressure canner, the peach floating around reminded me of an orange carp in A Japanese pond-well maybe with all of the metal more like a goldfish that was surviving in the sewer after being flushed.

And finally, the finished products-with a few fresh peaches to spare.


14 Comments:

At 6:41 AM, Blogger Niobium said...

I laughed when I saw your "peter peachpit" comment. That was very funny!

This past weekend was spent making kosher dills (for the first time!). Like yourself, I had one casuality.

It all looks yummy. Want to do a trade? Some koshers for some peaches.

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you finally got around to canning! Looks amazing!

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger e4 said...

Wow, I love peaches. Plant those things man!

Actually, if I remember right, if you let them dry out they're supposed to burn pretty well. But I might be thinking of cherry pits. I love cherries too. And grapes.

I'll stop now...

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger The Fool said...

The New Presidents song comes to mind. Peach on! The pic of Kia is a treasure.

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger The Fool said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Mone said...

That looks realy yummy. No peachjam around here, the peaches we are getting at the stores are usually hard like a rock and they dont taste that peachy.
I made sure we filled our tummys down in Hungary.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

I love this time of year with all its peaches and other fruit. I haven't preserved any yet, maybe next week. $15 for a box of peaches is a great deal too. A 20-lb box of processing peaches goes for $32 here.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

nio:
Trading preserved food may be fun-I never thought about it.

lesley:
Me too. Hiopefully today I'll be getting some strawberries to freeze.

e4:
I imagine they would burn. I think I've even heard of people makng jewelry out of pits-or beads.

The cherries out here rock. But I was a bit behind during cherry season and by the time I went picking the Raniers and bings were wormy.

TFool.
Is that the Moving to the country gonna eat a lot of peaches song. I found that cd at a garage sale about a year ago-cracked me up. Reminded me of when I was living in PDX in 95. They played that song a lot on the radio.

MOne:
Yeah the peaches at the store pretty much suck here as well. I was very happy to come across some local ones.

Jenny:
The veggies and fruit seem to be peaking right now. I'm trying to find a cheap (or free if I can find a neglected tree) of plums. We have been trying to preserve a lot of fruit to help feed KIA this winter. So far pretty much everything solid she has eaten has been local in season food (minus the grains).

Happy preserving!

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger mamak said...

My absolute favorite!

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I never hear the term peter peachpit jam. My mom did peach pit jam.

I haven't yet been to market in Sandpoint but my friend Jerry who sell Jelly and Jam down there. Well my mom gave her recipe for Apple Butter to them.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

Reminds me of my Grandmom's house. During the thick of the winter, (in PA not FL), we would still have ample jars of canned peaches and pears YUM! She also canned blueberries and we would mix them with our maple syrup for pancakes. Makes me actually pine for some cold weather.

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Looks delicious. You do them a little different than I do. I just put the peaches right in the jar after skinning them and let them do their little cook as I seal them. I've been thinking about picking up tomatoes and getting busy with my canning.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Hi, I'm tagging you to do face behind the blog

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ski jackets are a pretty important part of any ski [url=http://www.northfacecoatsforcheap.net/mens-north-face-denali-hoodie-jackets-c-145_149.html]north face denali hoodie sale[/url] because it does the important job of keeping core areas of body warm and dry. Any ski jacket should have some basic features in order for being useful within the slope; it should be waterproof and should give enough insulation to guard you from cold. [url=http://www.northfacecoatsforcheap.net/north-face-denali-hoodie-womens-jacket-cheap-in-black-p-720.html]black north face denali hoodie[/url] are manufactured by North Deal with, a popular brand in ski jackets for guys, ladies and children.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home