Saturday, August 11, 2007

Should I be Paranoid?


Well the past couple weeks I have been searching Craigslist for a new crib (and hopefully one that will convert to a toddler bed). KIA finally outgrew her Amby Baby because she was too limited on movement in it. The last few nights she has been co-sleeping with us, but I am not very hip on the idea. I feel that I constantly waking up to make sure that I am not rolling over on her. She also moves around a lot. She does this thing where she will be half-awake crying or sobbing and crawl around in circles until she gets comfortable or whatever and then goes back to sleep.

So anyhow, a crib is on the shopping list. We want one that doesn't have paint or large amounts of stain and coatings, nor do I want to spend like $300 on a crib like some people feel they deserve for their used crib. There is also the used mattress theory. Of course a new mattress contains a barrage of chemicals like flame retardants and roach killers.

So what is a parent to do? There are all natural organic mattresses that cost close to $300, but that seems excessive. We sleep on an all natural (not organic) futon mattress. I thought if I could get one made that is crib size that would be an answer. And if I don't end up finding a crib on Craigslist or the Nickel Nik classified papers, we'll just buy this crib from IKEA. I think I was on the Canadian IKEA site this time, I believe it costs $159 here in the states. Anyhow, I had no idea I would be this concerned over KIA's sleeping area. I guess becoming a parent makes one more concerned or paranoid-however you look at it.

10 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I hope you don't mind me giving a couple things to look when purchasing a crib.
1. Make sure the baby head can't fit though the bars.
2. Make sure they don't slip down between the mattress and the crib.
3. Make sure if baby wiggles that the mattress doesn't coming tumbling down.
4. If baby pulls them self up on crib make sure she can't push the part where you take them out.
Because once baby learns how to stand next thing they sing and shake the day light of there crib.

On your last post both of my boys went to public school and actual I think they came out pretty good. Although their not perfect but neither am I.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Niobium said...

Have you considered making a crib?

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Carla said...

I would be just as concerned...I think it's normal. There's lots to think about there.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

Those are all legitimate concerns. As an Indoor air person I am sternly against used mattresses, (dust mites and all), but baby mattresses are different they are less permeable and water proof. We bought a new mattress and let it off gas for about three months before we used it. The cribs were thankfully donated. Good luck.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

peppy:
yeah those are all legitimate concerns. I'm sure if we do get a newer crib there won't be any recalls on it. I know somw of the older cribs did have problems where kids got their heads stuck.

nio:
I did think about it before she was born, but now I just don't have the time, the place (we have a 1 room apartment with no yard or shed), and all of my tools are in storage.

carla:
There are alot of things I think about before making big purchases and I consider this a big one.

maggie:
Used mattresses are really sketchy, but these new ones seem like they are sprayed with so much. I really hope I can find a futon mattress that is crib sized. Thanks for stopping by.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

We went with Ikea for my daughter's toddler bed when the time came (we co-slept for the first couple of years). Ikea was definitely the most affordable, and they apparently don't use those awful flame retardants that are standard elsewhere.
Parenting can be so stressful! :D

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Stephanie Appleton said...

I might think you are a bit paranoid, but then you may think I'm not concerned enough! :) There a lot of decisions to make as a parent, only you can decide which are the most important and learn to let the rest go because you just can't do it all!

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger The Fool said...

Hi Burdock. Concern for your children? It will go on for the rest of your life. It never ends. Wait till you get to the teen years...

Good luck on finding something to fit your needs...proper bedding is just as important to a child as it is to an adult.

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger Pam said...

burdockboy-trust me, the paranoia is JUST beginning lol you constantly worry...if not the crib, it's if they'll scrape their knee the first time they ride a bike, or as they get older and start going out w friends, it's who they're with and what are the doing exactly lol

p.s. i did the co-bed thing w first child for a bit...it was easy to get him into his own room/bed. the other two...not so much. kids are kinda like dogs...once u let them sleep in your bed, there's no getting them out lol

 
At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Price Check said...


What did you decide?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home