Friday, May 11, 2007

It's Good To Be Back

Yes, I am finally back from our extended journey. I must say, having very limited access to the Internet was both daunting and a relief. I felt that I was unplugged. But, what can I say, I'm glad to be back in front of my Mac.

It was a very successful trip because Moh got to see a lot of her family both in New York and Illinois. KIA was privileged to meet her only Great Grandparent and he was taken by her. I did get to see my Mother, but I also had a wonderful time on the road. Oh, and Ithaca was cool.

As I mentioned before Ithaca is home to the original Moosewood restaurant. It's still in its original location-an old school.


Other shops behind Moosewood

They don't take reservations, so we showed up a few minutes before they opened. Good thing, because it really filled up fast. There is a small bar and giftshop in the front and the main dining is in the back. We were suckers for a small moose finger puppet. I also couldn't help but notice the help wanted sign taped to the window.

My overall experience there was good. They have a menu of several entrees one can order and a couple daily soups. I ended up choosing a vegetable stew that was very satisfying, accompanied by a small salad, and a double Americano. We passed on the dessert. Perhaps that was a mistake.



KIA enjoying her dining experience-She like noisy restaurants

Ithaca also has a wonderful downtown that consists of a roadless shopping area called "the Commons". There is a wooden playground, plenty of benches, and this lovely sculpture.

It was a bit chilly after leaving Moosewood.

We also found time to venture out to Buttermilk Falls State Park just south of town. The Upper Falls had the most impressive waterfall, but the lower falls had a more peaceful setting and nice trails. We hiked around for awhile soaking up the sun of a beautiful spring day.

A water crossing in the lower falls area

Moosewood isn't the only good restaurant in Ithaca. We also discovered Olivia. Olivia is a great little bistro that focuses on local and organic foods. I ordered a local goat cheese pita.
Oh, and the herbed fries with aioli and tomato jelly were amazing.

After our bit of extravagent dining we restricted ourselves to Ithaca's Co-op for our home prepared meals. I took advantage of their local dairy products-especially the goat milk for $.99 and the bulk sheep feta.

Well, enough about Ithaca, but that will have to wait......

12 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Glad you made it home safe and sound.

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home!! The photos are great,especially of your pretty little baby girl.:)

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

peppy:
Thanks. Safe and sound. I got one speed warning ticket in Ohio, but that was all.

kim:
Thank you. She seems to get prettier by the day...

 
At 3:21 AM, Blogger Mone said...

welcome back! I just love those great pictures. Good to know that there is a job offer somewhere in case I get laid of, hahaha.
I have no idea what aioli is, perhaps something like mayonaise?

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous trip. I've only eaten at Moosewood once but I have all the cook books.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back. And what a fine post.

I'd love to make it to the Moosewood restaurant one day.

Have a great weekend, BBoy.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Carla said...

It sounds like you had a lovely trip. Good to see you back though. If you are ever in Victoria, the ReBar is a restaurant I'm sure you would enjoy. It seems very similar to the one's you've described here.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

mone:
I am currrently uemployed because it is so soon before I move. That sign was very tempting. Yes aoili is a mayo garlic sauce. This one had a hint of tabasco.

maggie:
I have a couple of their cookbooks and they are definitely of my most used. I was glad that I made it there, especially because I was in Ithaca for a couple days.

Winters:
Thanks.
Moosewood was a nice restaurant, but the whole Ithaca experience was really what made it great.

Carla:
Thanks. I do plan on making it out to Victoria sometime, especially since we are returning to Idaho. I've been to Port Townsend and Port Angeles on the States side, but haven't made it over to the Island. I'll have to remember the restaurant when I finally make there.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Pam said...

hi...i came here by way of marmite's site. enjoyed ur pics and ur baby girls is absolutely adorable. i have two girls myself(10 n 8)...and a boy, too. but maybe he's not so much a boy as he'll be 20 nxt mo lol btw where's the good white chocolate around here? lol

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Stephanie Appleton said...

Welcome home! You should know better than to speed in Ohio! :)

Missed your posts!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger M said...

Welcome back. I haven't had a chance to reply to your latest comment, but I wanted to say you were one of the people I wanted to tag for the meme I did, but I never got around to tagging anyone. So . . . if you get a chance list 7 things about yourself and tag 7 other people if you can/want. I'll respond the your comment on my blog soon--gotta run out and get the dog his potty break!

M

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Clara:
Thanks for stopping by and your warm compliments. 8 and 10 are great ages for girls-I guess the teen years are the rough ones.

As for the white chocolate, I have found the best in co-ops or whole food type stores. Funny, the stores people think of as "healthy" are actually just the best for real food-chocolate and coffee included.

Stephanie:
Thanks. Yeah I was a bit in a hurry. I got spoiled through Indiana where the speed limit was 70. I'm glad I only got a warning. I haven't had a ticket for over 10 years.

M:
Thanks. I will do the 7 for myself. Last time my answers were sort of lame.
Stay tuned...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home