Sunday, April 08, 2007

That Memorable Spot

All right, all of you out there that view me only as a devoted father that tries his best to make wise choices ethically, environmentally, and well maybe even logically please read no further. Perhaps I'd like you to keep thinking of me that way...

Okay, everyone gone? Good. Now for my private writing.

I've been thinking a lot about my teenage years lately. I guess growing older does that. Teenagers need to feel the sense of rebellion. They thrive on the rush of doing things that are taboo or dangerous. I was no exception.

Most tweens and teens also have that special someplace that they go to "cause mischief", I love that term. For my friends and I it was the Pilgrim Road rock quarry near my friend Aaron's house. For several years it was our playground. We explored the caves around it, climbed down the cliffs, skated on the ice in the winter, picked berries along the creek, rolled boulders down the hill, and even built a rope swing near the quarry. But it wasn't all innocence. Since the quarry was still in operation, there also came a bit of *ahem* vandalism.

We started out spying on the workers. We had binoculars and would watch them from above. We really wanted t see where they kept the dynamite, but we never found out. One time one of the workers spotted us. We saw him pointing at us to another worker. Since they were down in the quarry, we could watch their every move. Finally one of them looked as though he was going to come after us. We knew the surroundings so well, we had no fear of getting caught. A couple times we even threw rotten apples into the backs of the trucks from our hidden cliff as the trucks drove beneath us.

After the spying came breaking and entering. We managed to get into one of the cabins at night. We ended up taking some Field and Stream magazines for the novelty of it, but that was about it.

Look at me, what a punk* Taken some time  high school

The worst came one evening we were in a particularly foul mood. I guess the heavy equipment just pissed us off. And we wondered if a boulder really could break the windows of those big trucks. The answer? If the rock or boulder is big enough. I believe that was the same evening that my friend Jason also took a crap in the cab of one of the trucks.

Did we ever get caught? Well, one winter day we were shooting fireworks off on the icy pond, when a pick-up came driving down the road into the quarry. We had a dufflebag of fireworks, the good kind, but had no where to run. The guy turned out to be one of the head honchos of the quarry. He started rattling off about the vandalism that had occurred, like smashed windows, picked locks, and then he said "slashed tires". We both looked at each other in this shocked way because we had never done any tire slashing. There were other vandals on our turf. He threatened to call our parents and turn us in, but knew there was no way to link us to anything, but trespassing. He also may not have even thought we had done anything because we were just a couple of young country kids who acted as though the acts of vandalism were awful. He took down our names and told us that if he caught us again he would call the cops. Yeah, yeah.

Oh, but we did return.

10 Comments:

At 1:26 AM, Blogger JBelle said...

The best is yet to come....

Happy Easter BB!

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

Isn't it funny how as teenagers we look so dark and uncomfortable in our own skin? Was that the worst of your highschool mahem? Seems par for course in every teenagers coming of age. Except mine of course, (Ha Ha).

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger green libertarian said...

Ya creepy little vandal!

Ha!

Cool place you got here, BB. Very nice.

Yeah, I was born in Virginia, up on da Range. You knoow, where dey ben haulin' taconite mos a da night, eh?

Love your blog, I should copy some stuff. Heh heh heh. I DO environmental stuff, sell and install renewable energy systems and green building supplies.

Peace.
again, nice blog.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Oh, the memories. I'm sure we all went through a bit of rebellion in our day. I'll be waiting for the second installment of this tale.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

jbelle:
the best hmmm. If you are implying my own daughter being a rebel....We'll see.

Maggie:
I was a pretty good kid. I have some more humorous stories, but I never was in trouble with the law or anything. I had friends that ended up much worse.

I'm sure your kids will be perect angels as teens :)

Green:
Hey I did go to the U of Idaho one semester so I was a vandal.

Thanks for your compliments. I've been pretty busy so my blog devotion has suffered a bit lately.

Cool gig. I'll be sure to knock on your door when I move out your way and build my dream home (small and off-grid). It could happen.

Carla:
Some more than others for sure.

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Dancingfarmer said...

Ahh ---the joys of youth. Sometimes I think it's too bad we couldn't go back knowing what we know now. But then---who wants to be 16 again? Not me.
monica

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

boy you do look the turd in the photo.:)
I think I have some that look just like that.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger The Fool said...

Oh no...no...no...no...no. I'm not touching this one with a reminiscence. I was a "good boy" (see? no lightning...I must be telling the truth). heh heh

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger crallspace said...

That's hilarious that your friend shit in the cab of a truck.

I have numerous vandal stories myself... mostly just trashing the hell out of big trucks and snowplows that have been sitting dormant. I used to love breaking glass, but now I'd rather recycle it.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Monica:
Sometimes I wish I was 16 just so I ould do a few things over, but the majority of it...forget it. Why do some people say those are the best years?

Kim: I didn't like people taking my picture at that age. My girlfriend at the time was taking the picture so I had evry reason to glare :)

T. Fool:
Perfect boy. Yeah of coarse. Uh huh. Notice the date isn't April 1st.

crall:
He was crazy like that sometimes. I wouldn't have had the nerve.

You're a midwestern boy. There ain't shit to do so vandalism comes natural-even for a "good lad" like me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home