Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Meme from Hell Continues

Okay, here was a crazy meme I caught from The Fool who mutated the original from Her Royal Holiness. I decided not to do the heavily Oprahized meme from Her Royal Holiness and just use the mutated one.

It's simple, I listed 100 books that I have read and have connected with (no particular order). Some of them were meaningful with my childhood, some changed my view on things, and some were just good reads in which the plots pop in my head frequently. I'm sure when I publish this post I will immediately want some deleted and others added, but the hell with it. Here they are. Oh yeah, and if you are inclined, feel free to pick up the virus-I won't be offended if you can fight off this Meme-it's a pain.

1) Secret History-Donna Tartt
2) American Psycho- Brett Easton Ellis
3) Perks of Being a Wallflower- Stephen Chbosky
4) You Shall Know Our Velocity- Dave Eggers
5) What is The What- Dave Eggers
6) The Edible Woman- Margaret Atwood
7) The Handmaids Tale- Margaret Atwood
8) Wobegon Boy- Garrison Keillor
9) American Gods- Neil Gaiman
10) Catcher in The Rye- JD Salinger
11) On the Road- Jack Keroac
12) Naked Lunch- William S Burroughs
13) A Clockwork Orange- Anthony Burgess
14) The Fountainhead- Ayn Rand
15) Monkey Wrench Gang- Edward Abbey
16) A Man For All Seasons- Robert Bolt
17) One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest- Ken Kesey
18) Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit- Jeanette Winterson
19) Tom Sawyer- Mark Twain
20) The Mission of Art- Alex Grey
21) Sand County Almanac- Aldo Leopold
22) Treasury for Children- James Herriot
23) Norse Gods and Giants- The D'Aulaires
24) Coraline- Neil Gaiman
25) The Bell Jar- Sylvia Plath
26) Peace Like A River- Leif Enger
27) Walden- Thoreau
28) Amphigorey- Edward Gorey
29) By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept- Paulo Coelho
30) The Alchemist- Paulo Coelho
31) Selected Poems 1956-1968- Leonard Cohen
32) 1984- George Orwell
33) Siddhartha- Herman Hesse
34) Steppenwolf- Herman Hesse
35) Slaughterhouse-Five- Kurt Vonnegut
36) Ishmael- Daniel Quinn
37) The Stranger- Albert Camus
38) Picture of Dorian Gray- Oscar Wilde
39) The Harry Potter series- You Know Who
40) Call of the Wild- Jack London
41) Omnivores Dilemma- Michael Pollan
42) Ecology of Commerce- Paul Hawken
43) Earth in Mind- David Orr
44) A Wrinkle in Time- Madeline L'Engle
45) Bridge to Terabithia- Katherine Paterson
46) The Collected Poems of Wendell Berry 1957-1982
47) Desert Solitaire- Edward Abbey
48) Ecotopia- Ernest Callenbach
49) The Power of Now- Eckhart Tolle
50) The Unbearable Lightness of Being- Milan Kundera
51) Animal Farm- George Orwell
52) Wisconsin Death Trip- Michael Lesy
53) The Collected Shorter Poems of Kenneth Rexroth
54) Children of the Forest- Elsa Beskow
55) The Flowers Festival- Elsa Beskow
56) Dr Abravanels Body Type and Lifetime Nutrition Plan- Elliot Abravanel
57) Way of the Peaceful Warrior- Dan Millman
58) Choke- Chuck Palahniuk
59) Anne of Green Gables- LM Montgomery
60) The Hobbitt- JRR Tolkien
61) My Side of the Mountain- Jean Craighead George
62) Fastfood Nation- Eric Schlosser
63) Phantom Tollbooth- Norton Juster
64) When Corporations Rule the World- David Corten
65) Mandala- Judith Cornell
66) The Roominghouse Madrigals- Charles Bukowski
67) Naked- David Sedaris
68) Dress your Family in Corduroy and Denim- David Sedaris
69) Mamma Do You Love Me?- Barbara Joose
70) Lord of the Flies- William Golding
71) The Good Earth- Pearl S Buck
72) Those little Noam Chomsky books
73) Virgin Suicides- Jeffrey Eugenides
74) House of Sand and Fog- Andre Dubus
75) Invisible Monsters- Chuck Palahniuk
76) Tuck Everlasting- Natalie Babbitt
77) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory- Roald Dahl
78) Charlotte's Web- EB White
79) Earth Wisdom- Gennie Kindred
80) The Foxfire Books
81) Foxfire- Carol Ann Erhardt
82) Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry- Mildred D Taylor
83) The Color Purple- Alice Walker
84) Delta of Venus- Anais Nin
85) Amerika- Franz Kafka
86) Collected Poems- Sylvia Plath
87) Into The Wild- Jon Krakauer
88) A People's History of the United States- Howard Zinn
89) Sign of the Beaver- Elizabeth George Speare
90) Man and Nature- George Perkins Marsh
91) Our Stolen Future- Theo Colborn
92) Faust- Goethe
93) East of Eden- John Steinbeck
94) Of Mice and men- John Steinbeck
95) Downsize This- Michael Moore
96) The Last Temptation of Christ- Nikos Kazantzakis
97) Blindness- Jose Saramago
98) The Society of Others- William Nicholson
99) The Dream Hunters- Neil Gaiman/Yoshitaka Amano
100) When Things Fall Apart- Pema Chodron

5 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great list! I've read quite a few of your favs,and quite a few I haven't. I'm gonna check them out.
One that comes to my mind that you might like is My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok. Funny.....I don't know why I thought of this particular book right now. But I did,so there you are.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger M said...

Normally, I'm not really a fan of memes. I've never done one. But, I just might have to try this one myself, especially since I've kind of been on a kick of writing about reading and writing lately. You've read a lot of great books--I'll have to look through your list and see if it gives me any ideas. Of course I've got tons of books on my nightstand I still haven't finished so I don't really need any recommendations, but who can pass up a suggestion for a good book? Thanks for doing this.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Kim:
Thanks. I'll check the book out. Funny we have friends that just named their newborn Asher.

M:
Thanks.
If you do choose this meme, I will definitely check out your list.

My nightstand is a bit clogged right now as well. I'm really getting into Chris Bohjalian's "The Double Bind" at the moment. I just finished Paul Auster's "Travels in the Scriptorium" which was short, but enjoyable.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger The Fool said...

Thanks for posting a list, Burdock. There are many crossovers and titles I have read and could easily have added to my list...which is now obsolete. Welcome back to the blogosphere...Idaho bound, eh? Cool. If that's what feels right for now, follow it.

:)

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

T.Fool:
No prob. My list already has flaws as well, but it was a great little exercise. Got me thinking.

Yeah, it looks as though Idaho is on the horizon. We've got some people looking for housing for us and I have been scanning the job pages. We'll see what happens....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home