Sunday, March 04, 2007

Guess What I was Doing Four Years Ago?


Well, give or take a few days.

Shortly after the war on Iraq broke out four years ago it seemed as though anti-war demonstrations were taking place on a weekly basis. Many were simply standing in front of the post office with signs, others were candlelight vigils, and some got a bit more creative, like the Naked peace protests.

Up here on the South Shore of Lake Superior, we weren't quite brave enough to bare it all. Instead, fully clothed, we formed a Peace Dove on frozen Lake Superior. With temps at -4F (-20C) laying naked on the ice may have resulted in frost bite on some unusual areas of the body.

Choosing a very secluded area for the photo opt was still not enough to deter two counter protesters on snowmobilers. We all remained as calm as possible as the plane flew over us to take the photo, while the two snowmobilers zoomed around us waving flags and we choked on their gas fumes. Afterwards the two snowmobilers raced off, never disclosing their identities. Cowards. A couple people yelled at them to join us for chili, but I guess they weren't interested.

Four years later I wonder if we would have been met by such counter protesters. With fewer and fewer people in favour of the lingering war, it seems as though there are less anti-war demonstrations and pro-war rallies (AKA support the troops). I myself am guilty. Just before and shortly after the war broke out, I participated in many rallies, wrote numerous letters to lawmakers, wore anti-war buttons and shirts, and followed the news closely. Now, it's almost as though I am trying to tune the whole fiasco out. The US soldier death toll is over 3000 and the number of Iraqis killed is near 100,000, but that's about all I know. I guess I feel a sense of hopelessness. To me, it seems that my early efforts of protesting the war were a complete waste of time. Why did I go to Washington DC to protest? What good did it do?

Still, I am not going to allow myself to give up. I'm going to use this memory of the peace dove to refresh my passion of opposing this mistake-of-a-war we are participating in. Once again I will start writing letters to lawmakers to bring the troops home. The shift is on our side. Let's end this mess.

4 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger El said...

It does wear you down by its sheer endurance, doesn't it? I at least take some hope in the president's low approval rating. Hey: 6 out of 10 idiots who voted for him would not vote for him again (not that they could, but you get my point).

For me, it's really galling to know that my child (she's 3) has known nothing BUT war. And that I knew war for the first 10 years of my life. Why?

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Carla said...

It's important to continue to make our voices heard even when we feel like we are just one lone voice in the wind. We're not, however, the powers that be would love for us to feel isolated and to join the crowds of apathy. Eventually change will come about. Remain strong, my friend, and know you make a difference.

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just heaved a huge sigh as I finished reading this post. It feels so hopeless sometimes. But as Carla said remain strong for we do make a difference. We may not see it immediately but see it we will!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

el:
Brining children up in such a time of war was something that I often contemplate. It is rough, but i guess at the same time positive things are taking place. Perhaps we wil once again see the US as a positive leading country. I thinks we have really used up that respect that we have been hanging on to since WW2.

Carla:
I know you are correct and thanks for reminding me. Not that I have a whole lot of faith in the Dem party down here, but their taking the house and Senate here in the states is at least a wake-up call that people are pissed about this war. A difference was made.

Kim:
Thank you for your reassurance as well. Often times the best ideas happen in the worst of times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home