Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I Can't Believe It's Been Over Two Weeks

Wow, where has the time gone. Travelling can really eat away a couple of weeks. Blogging seems so foreign to me. I feel so out of touch. Ahhhh.

Okay. All better. I hope everyone has been well. I am anxious to do some catching up on other sites.

Our trip went really well. It was nice seeing the mountains, friends, and feeling the travelling sensation again. We got back home a couple days ago after a continuous 30 hour trip (with me driving the whole time). I must say that being awake almost 40 hours straight starts to affect ones reasoning.

I also made a few other observations while travelling:

1) I have a new found appreciation for Starbucks. I usually try not to be a customer of the coffee giant, preferring to support small independent coffee shops, but I gotta give them credit for good hours. When pulling an all-nighter it's nice to be able to get an americano at 11:00 at night.

2) Montana is freakin' huge. Actually I already knew this, but my memory is always refreshed.

3) Eastern Montana is desolate. Once again, nothing new, but when I'm able to stop on the interstate, get out and pee, gaze at the stars, and get something to drink out of the cooler, all while not seeing another vehicle, really says something.

4) Too many semis. Don't believe that our economy is too reliant on oil and shipping? Just drive on the interstate at 1:00 am.

5) Oldies stations are awesome. Why did I pack only indie, lo-fi, folk, jazz, and live Dead cd's? When it's just before dawn a 20 minute version of Dark Star doesn't work. The BBC on public radio wasn't cutting it. I switched the radio and welcomed doo-wop and the British Invasion.

6) A Mini French Press is a must (see pic below). When there are no coffee shops and only bad gas station coffee available a mini french press can prevent heartburn. I picked up some good coffee at the Bozeman Co-op and was good until the coffee shops of Fargo the next morning.

Just a few of the epiphanies I concluded during moments of sleep deprivation-the rest have slipped my mind.

Oh yeah, and a few pictures from the car ride...........


Stopping for buffalo burgers and huckleberry lemonade in Paradise, Montana


Some sheep just outside Plains, Montana


The "Psychedelic elephant" and the open road near the Great Divide, Montana


Lake? North Dakota?


The mini french press....oh how I love thee.


Got Billboards? Fargo does.

Next up, Photos from Sandpoint, Idaho. Stay tuned....



17 Comments:

At 1:41 AM, Blogger willow said...

Welcome back. Looking forward to more photos. Did Kalea enjoy her first experience of travelling?

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Glad to see you're back. I love the picture of the lake in North Dakota. That's really a fabulous shot!!! I feel the same way about only frequenting the mom & pop coffee shops, but I know what you mean about Starbuck's hours. I have resorted to them a few times while on the road.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger The Fool said...

Welcome back, Burdock. A new post, and photos from the road tour... the rainbow elephant rocks!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

willow:
Thanks.
She did enjoy te trip. On the way there we drove at night and I got a couple hours of sleep in the day. Since she sleeps well in he car this helped regulate her sleep. Now she's been sleeping through the night, sometimes 7 hours at a time.

She also liked seing new places and faces. She really seems like a social animal-quite the opposite of her parents.

Carla:
Thanks. The pic in ND I actually snapped while driving through the passenger window. Actually, most of the snaps were this way...

T.Fool:
Thanks you. The road tour was quite the adventure. The elephant is one of KIA's "sensory toys" someone lent us. It amused me on the rearview mirror, but as night fell I had to rip that sucker off and toss it in the back seat :)

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Carla said...

I can't believe that pic was snapped from the passenger window. Whenever I try that, they don't turn out nearly so well. Oh well, it just means I need to slow down.

 
At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Home!!

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Mone said...

Hello back, I just love those pics, I enlarged every one of them to get a better look. I didnt know they had Bratwurst in Montana, hahaha. I need to go and see for myself next time I'm in the US.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Carla:
Yeah a lot of times my pics are all blurry when I try to snap them from the car, but I guess I got lucky.

Kim:
Thanks. It's kinda good to be back.

Mone: I guess they have bratwurst everywhere here in the states. Wisconsin really has a lot of German heritage so we are the beer and brat capital of the USA-especially in the south where Toby lives. Up in my area there are a lot of scandinavians so we have saunas and lutefisk.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger El said...

I thought of you yesterday when I pulled burdock pods off my pantcuffs. Hope you had a great time! I know well how traveling can go with a nursling; slow but sure... (My answer was I had to drive, otherwise she was SO crabby.) Welcome back; hope you're seeing signs of spring up there!

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Stephanie Appleton said...

Good to see you back!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Dancingfarmer said...

Welcome back!--glad you had a nice trip.
Monica

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

After you lest it dawn on me that you was coming to my neck of the woods..dah!

The other day I ask my hubby if he every been to Poccorpine lake and he wasn't.
And wants to.
Did you go up to trestle creek to it?

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I flew back from Africa I had been up 36 hours straight. I grew sort of numb to the tiredness and just drifted along. I barely remember some of that time now.

pablo
www.roundrockjournal.com

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

El:
Thanks. I know the burdock can be quite the challenge for gardeners (or pet owners if the plant gets out of hand).

It's amazing how fast spring came, even up here. I'm mad as hell about how awful the maple syruping was though. I totally missed it. Grrrr. Still I guess it's nice to see the ice on the lake melt.

Stephanie: Thanks for the welcome back.

Monica: Thanks. It was very nice.

Peppy:
You can go up Trestle Creek which takes longer or leave out of Clark Fork. The Clark Fork way has a crazy water crossing that only vehicles with high clearance can make in the summer. With a Subaru, we went out Trestle Creek. There's still a small water crossing on the road to Porcupine Lake, but doable even in a car. It's worth the trip.

Pablo:
Thanks for stopping by.
I have never flown that long, but I have taken the Greyhound from Chicago to Spokane. It was like 50 hours. Not fun.

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Mone said...

Hahaha, beer AND sauna, that sounds perfect ;)

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger JBelle said...

You're back! I'm afraid you're caused a small riot with those pictures. To sooth the clamaor, you have no choice but to post more! yay!

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Mone:
Beer in te sauna I guess doesn't work too well.

JBElle:
I hope I have more. I was surprised at how few I took. Damn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home