Friday, April 20, 2007

The Empty Bowl

Well my absence from the blogging world can only mean one thing-I've been busy. Everyone knows that feeling right?

Spring has finally sprung here in the Northwoods so I've been trying to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible. Also the dreaded cleaning and de-cluttering has been an ongoing battle.

However last weekend we were able to make it to our local Empty Bowl event. For those who have never heard of or participated in an empty bowl event, I strongly recommend seeking them out-or better yet try to organise one yourself if you are the motivated type. In a nutshell, they are a fundraising event usually for food shelves or soup kitchens. Local artists, students from schools and colleges make and donate handmade pottery bowls for the event. Then the public that attend get to pick out a bowl, load up with some hot soup, and enjoy socializing and listening to some live music. The one here in Ashland cost $10 a bowl-and there were some beauties. We accidentally arrived 45 minutes early because we had the starting time wrong. The nice college kids in charge of the event didn't even tell us to comeback later or inform us that we were too early. We thought people were just late arriving. A little embarrassing looking back, but hey, we got first pick at the bowls.

Here are the two bowls we chose

Also, I'd like to give the Northland students and artists that made this year's Empty Bowl a success a big thumbs up. You guys really are an asset to the community.

12 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger Carla said...

We recently had an Empty Bowl event in Nelson as well. What an awesome idea! The bowls you chose are lovely.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

What a great idea. Kind of like a communtiy stone soup affair!! Love it.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger gtr said...

Yay, I love Empty Bowl Events... I've been collecting a bowl or two a year for a while now... it's fun to see some of the same artist's bowls in the next year and work up to a "matching" set eventually.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger The Fool said...

Way cool, we do Empty Bowl events for the Stone Soup Kitchen. Way cool to hear they are a standard elsewhere too.

Happy Monday, Burdock. Have a good day.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Personally, I wish we had the event more often so I could collect my bowls quicker. Happy Monday.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

sorry - I left a comment on one of your posts 'family........' a few posts back........

I have a bowl with a chicken on :) lol

x

 
At 2:52 AM, Blogger Mone said...

thats a very cool idea, nothing like that over here.

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never heard of it. I don't think we have one around here. Your bowls are lovely. -Jill-

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger The Fool said...

Tap...tap...tap...tap...

Have you become weekly poster like some other Fools?

heh heh

Happy Wednesday to you, Burdock. When do you hot the road?

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Carla said...

I'm standing right behind the Fool peering in. Hallo to ya.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger The Fool said...

...tap...tap...tap...and that's "hit the road" - unless it's an August scorcher...

:)

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Hello all.
Sorry for my absence.
I am currently hitting the road in the wrong direction-we're going to NY and Illinois to visit some family and give away one of our autos. We're moving to Idaho at the end of May.

I promise to have some interesting stories to tell soon. This NY trip is going to be a "trip"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home