Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A Seasonal Meal


Since I am in the process of moving, once again a garden is not a possibility. I look forward to the day that I stay at a property (or better yet my own), where I can orchestrate a proper garden long-term. Growing up with a large garden as a child, I have many visions to which I would like to create.

In the meantime, I keep shopping for local produce and products and prepare seasonal meals. The one we enjoyed the other night was a mushroom polenta (Wisco mushrooms and cheese), with a side of asparagus (from my mother's garden), a side of local greens (with local radishes and some leftover sheep feta from NY), and rhubarb crunch with a dollop of local ice cream. I actually found a bit of rhubarb growing in our back yard. I wish I would have had wild leeks and morels for the polenta. I just picked some wild leeks yesterday, but no morels were to be found.

Anyhow here are the recipes to the dishes for anyone interested.

Broiled Polenta (from Moosewood Cooks at Home-I changed a little)

3 C water
1/2 t salt
1 C polenta or coarse cornmeal

3 T olive oil
2 C chopped mushrooms
1-2 garlic cloves
1 C sliced leeks or onions
1 T white wine or sherry

1 C cheese (mix and match) I prefer a little Romano, cheddar, and mozzarella
-black pepper and tarragon

*Bring water to a boil and add the cornmeal whisking constantly. Cook at low heat for about 10 minutes or until thickened

*Heat oil in a skillet and saute the mushrooms, garlic, and leeks. Add wine and cook a bit longer.

*Spread thickened polenta in a oiled or buttered casserole dish or pie plate. Spoon on the sauted veggies and top with cheese, pepper, and tarragon.

*Place in broiler for around 5 minutes or until the cheese is golden.


Rhubarb Crunch (from the Mennonite Cookbook)

4 C diced rhubarb

Mix until crumbly:
1 C flour (I use part ww pastry part barley)
3/4 C uncooked oats
1 C browns sugar
1/2 C butter
1 t cinnamon

Combine the following:
1 C sugar
2 T cornstarch
1 C water
1 t vanilla

*Press half of crumbs in a greased 9 inch baking pan

*Add diced rhubarb

*Combine second mixture and cook until thick and clear, then pour over the rhubarb

*Top with remaining crumbs

*Bake at 350F (175 C) for one hour

This recipe has a lot of sugar in it, but it's a seasonal favourite of mine.



11 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger Stephanie Appleton said...

yum! I love rhubarb! Add it to my list of things I'd like to plant. We've had no luck with morels either!

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Mutableblue said...

YUM!!! Looks delish, I just picked up a Moosewood cookbook from the library this morning.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

Ok That looks and sounds fabulous!!!! I may just try a version of this for dinner this week!!! Your last couple blog entries made me dig up the moosewood cookbooks and start reliving my favorites!! Thanks for the memory jog.

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger willow said...

Mushroom polenta sounds great, I love mushrooms but have never cooked them with polenta so I will definitely try this.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger The Fool said...

Hi Burdock. That looks like a treat. Those tasty morels can be shy. They love the wildfires though...they invade the burn areas up here with a frenzy in the follow-up season. Have a great day!

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Oh, YUM!!! What great pictures to wake up to. Now I need to get some breakfast.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Your making my mouth water.

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That all looks and sounds delicious, BBoy. Thanks for the ideas.

Bon appetit. Rhubarb is, I agree, a wonderful thing.

 
At 4:07 AM, Blogger M said...

Do you usually use a cookbook, or also make your own recipes? Everything you make always looks so good.

I wish I was better at coming up with new ideas for dishes. Our diet typically consists of: veggie burger, pasta, pasta salad, stir fry, rice and beans, grilled veggies, store bought soup and salad, eggplant sandwich.

We just do a rotation of those dishes and maybe one or two others. Becomes quite uninspiring after a while. But it's easy.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger The Fool said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger The Fool said...

I have an inkling you're on the road. Happy trails...Happy Friday. Best to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home