Friday, August 17, 2007

Food For The Soul

The whole reason for this post occurred about a week ago. Moh, KIA, and I all took a walk down to the ski village the other evening. I had eaten a few hours before so I thought that perhaps a cup of coffee and a piece of pie would be a wonderful way to top off the evening. To our surprise, we found that the workers were setting up an outdoor, blow-up movie screen. Wow, a free movie in the village. There aren't a whole lot of free things up here. The movie they were showing was Cars. I hadn't seen the movie, nor had much interest to, but it seemed like fun. One of the restaurants had some tables off to the side where one could sit and order dinner. Great, I could get my coffee and pie after all. We sat down and several minutes later our waitress arrived and I ordered my coffee. However they had no pie, but a triple berry (raspberries, blueberries, and huckleberries) shortcake sounded excellent. However after a couple more minutes the cold wind coming over the mountain gave us the chills. KIA was especially cold. We decided to duck into the building and enjoy the food inside. When the food arrived I must say I was impressed. The shortcake was amazing-complete with a hearty serving of real whip cream. The bill, on the other hand, was a bit much (almost $7.00 for the shortcake). We didn't stay for the movie either. Maybe next time. I think it's Monty Python's Holy Grail this week.

A couple days later, after feeling a bit depressed for a variety of reasons, I decided an attempt to recreate the shortcake. After all, for me sweet treats made with butter, cream, and fresh fruit really helps ones soul. We had just been blueberry picking so we had over 8 liters to spare. I also had a few huckleberries that I picked just above our apartment. The result? Perhaps not as gourmet as Chimney Rock's shortcake, but still pretty damn good. They all got eaten at any rate. Here's the lowdown:



For the Shortcake
3 C flour (I used WW pastry)
3 T sugar
1.5 T Baking Powder
.75 t salt
12 T butter
1.5 C cream-milk mixture depending on the richness desired
1.5 t vanilla

*Mix dry ingredients together. Mix in butter with a fork or pastry cutter.
*Mix together wet ingredients. Add to dry and stir with a fork until just combined.
*Spoon the batter onto a baking stone and place in a preheated 425F oven. It should make 9-10 shortcakes.
*Bake for about 20 minutes

For the Berries
5 C mixed berries
4 T sugar

*Add berries to a pan with perhaps a bit of water and the sugar. Cook until the berries are a desired softness (You be the judge).
* Chill

For the Whipped Cream
1.5 cream
2 T sugar
.75 t vanilla

*You know, whip the cream.

Yum. I really like these. I add a little bit of goat milk when I eat these because I like my shortcakes a bit moist. I'm ready for strawberry shortcake now. There is someone at farmers market that still has strawberries. What a wacky growing season.

Me in the blueberry patch



9 Comments:

At 2:12 AM, Blogger willow said...

That shortcake looks really yummy.
You picked 8 litres of bluberries, I have one small bush and picked about a cupful and in the supermarket here they are about £2.99 for a small (about 250g) punnet. I am so jealous, I love blueberries!

 
At 3:24 AM, Blogger M said...

We have the outdoor film thing here too. We just went a few weeks ago. It was fun I thought. Hope your depression lifted with those berry shortcakes. Making dessert always puts me in a better mood as well. By the way, the village looks nice--do you guys live right near there?

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Willow:
They have quite the farm here. What's even cooler is they have share picking. Whatever you pick before 11:00 am you give th farm half you get the other half free.

M:
I heard a thing on NPR about a group showing movies on the sides of buildings like a renegade drive through. I think it was in Santa Cruz (not surprising).

Yeah we live real close to the ski village. In fact, I'm getting ready to walk down with KIA for some coffee right now.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

That shortcake looks unbelievably good. We don't have any blueberries in this area, but raspberry bushes grow like weeds. I might have to try it with those, and there's nothing quite like real whipped cream.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Last year my oldest work up on Schweitzer. Not sure if he going to again this season. At this time he working on fire crew for the forest service and he will start his college in about 2 weeks.
My youngest talk about trying to get on at Schweitzer.

We didn't do any huckleberry picking this year.

My Oldest gets "The Bullwheel" New letter from Schweitzer and there going to be a fall fest, Sept 1 and 2nd.

This morning I stop in that sun place in Bonners and bought Blanxart they said it was chocolate from Spain.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger The Fool said...

G'morning Burdock. Nice post. It sounds like you've moved into a congenial neck of the woods. Thanks for the recipe, too...it's blueberry season at this end also. Perhaps I should grab a bucket for some topping to that shortcake.

Have a great Saturday.

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Jenny:
I wish there were more raspberries around here. There were a lot back in Wisco-wild and cultivated. Whip cream does rule. And to think people actually eat Cool Whip. :} blahhh

Peppy:
I have a friend that has been busy with fires. A lot south of here and over in Montana this year. I'm glad there hasn't been too many around here the smoke really bothers me.

I imagine we'll still be up here for fall fest. Today was the Huckleberry festival. We walked down pretty much when it was over.

I'm glad you went to that cafe in Bonners. I really like it there. I had some wonderful chile the last time I was there.

T.Fool:
Congenial, maybe. I feel like I should like it here more than I do. Sometimes I feel this clash of energy with Sandpoint. I can't explain it.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Niobium said...

MMmmmmmmm....

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Yum! That looks delicious. I'll be making that just as soon as I land back home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home