Monday, November 10, 2008

Stump Crabs

It's that time of year again when Albeni Dam spills a little more water over its gates and Lake Pend Oreille and the Pend Oreille river see their shores get a bit broader. Waterfronters boat docks become worthless. The somewhat picturesque Sand Creek looks more like a mud bog. And best of all, the stump crabs make their presence.



These beauties were spotted along the Southside of the Pend Oreille river between Sandpoint and Priest River.


From a distance amongst the haze stump crabs may seem a bit intimidating.


But a closer view reveals a very slow, gentle being.

9 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How strange! I think if I saw that from afar, I'd slam on my breaks and think I was looking at some odd new animal. Tres bizare! Love it!

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger The Fool said...

H'lo Burdock. Stump crabs are something new to me. Terrific photos...so surreal. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Carla said...

I've never before heard of the term "stump crabs." Love it. And the pictures are wonderful too.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

desiree:
Welcome, thanks for dropping by. I was way up on the side of a mountain looking down on these and it was pretty strange. They really did look like crabs.

TFool:
The crabs in your neck of the woods are almost that large anyhow, are they not?

Carla:
I'm not sure if I coined the term or not. Does Kootenay Lake drop it's level?

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger It's me said...

PST... email me. Got something to tell you.
Peaceout.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Toby said...

Awesome! Creepy! Creepy awesome. I may be a little late because no one chooses to enable date along with time.

I especially enjoy the long shot.

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Lake level drops in the winter, but we don't have sights such as these. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger crallspace said...

Almost looks like an ancient boneyard.

Hey, you still on this blogger thing?

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger The Fool said...

Best to you and yours this holiday season, Burdock. May '09 be full of good tidings.

Peace out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home