Friday, March 27, 2009

Seed Starting (I hope it's not too early)


Earlier this week we finished planting most of our indoor seed starts. I still plan on starting some leeks, squash, pumpkins, and melons-the last three planned for mid April. This year we started them according to the moon. From what I have read, most plants (not bulbs or tubers) do best when started when the moon is in a water sign and in the first quarter. We started ours in Pisces just before the new moon. We did some moon planting last year which seemed to have decent results (perhaps it was just luck). Still, to me, it is interesting to keep track of the moon cycles and feel with the rhythm of the earth. My only hope is we didn't start the plants too early. Afterall, there still is over a foot of snow on the ground and although the days are noticeably longer, I look at the newly sprouted tomatoes and think "wow, am I really going to be able to plant these this year?" It really has been a long winter.

7 Comments:

At 1:34 AM, Blogger The Fool said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger The Fool said...

Best to you with your garden this year. I wonder how the ashfall will effect the gardens up here? Any clue? I won't be planting myself...but I'll be a regular at the Farmer Markets...so I hope it's a benefit. Happy spring, Burdock!

 
At 1:57 AM, Blogger Carla said...

I've been starting my seeds too. I can hardly wait to start digging in the dirt outside. Better get those taxes done first.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I hear you - every time I plant something, it snows a little bit just to mock me! We can see the ground now at least, but it's still geting below freezing at night.
Good luck to you and your seedlings!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

It hard to think about gardening considering there snow on the ground I thought it was going away and at this moment it falling out of the sky.
I get confuse when to plant by the moon and I have to have a guide to help me.
Have a great season of gardening.

Coffee is on.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

T.Fool:
I'm not sure of the ashfall impact on gardening. I am a bit curious though-may have to look into that. It doesn't feel like spring though-another 6" last night.

Carla:
I have really been longing for getting into the garden this year. We've even been drawing up diagrams of how we plan on planting this year. Best wishes with the taxes. I got my federal ones done, but still need to do my state.

Cheryl:
Hello. We could see the ground in some areas, but the 6" last night pretty much destroyed that. You're right I think mother nature is mocking us.

Peppy:
I hear ya. I was not plesantly surprised by the snow this morning. Enough already.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger willow said...

You still have so much snow, I'm not sure I could stand winters which last so long. We are still getting frosts but no snow and as sumer time started today at long last we have lighter evenings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home