Thursday, February 05, 2009

Another Troubled Bridge Over Water, But Without Water

Awhile back I posted about the horrific bridge leading to my home. Since then it has been fixed with a more stable, but still scary bridge with no guard rails.  Well  another bridge I drive over nearly everyday has drawn national attention.

The Dover bridge which crosses over a railroad on US Highway 2 heading from Sandpoint to Washington was built in 1937. Popular Mechanics listed it as one of "The 10 Pieces of U.S. Infrastructure We Must Fix Now" along with such powerhouses as the Brooklyn Bridge, Atlanta's Water System, O'Hare Airport, and Chicago's Interchange. Wow, lucky us.

More recently the bridge is to be highlighted on a History Channel show about the deteriorating infrastructure in the US. The show may be named "Crumble". That would be great.

What has been interesting is IDT's decision to fund projects based on reducing congestion and traffic rather than the unsafe bridge. In early January the Dover Bridge was taken off of the priority list because a lot of money was already being spent in the Sandpoint area for the new bypass. But then, perhaps due to the History Channel showing up, or because Idaho anticipates more money flowing in from the stimulus, the Idaho Transportation Board reversed it's decision and the bridge is back on the priority list. Who knows. Still, they have no plans for the bridge.   It is estimated to cost around $40 million however.  Until then, I'll just make sure I don't cross it while any log trucks are coming. Dying on a bridge is not how I want to go.

The Dover Bridge from the Bike Path

6 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger It's me said...

My bridge fear started with seeing "Galloping Gertie" as a child and has never ended.

STAY OFF THE DARN THING!!!!! DETOUR!!!

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Meadowlark:
I knew the bridge was sketchy, but I had no idea it was as dangerous as everyone claims. I was much more scared driving over the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan.

There really isn't much of a detour for the Dover Bridge. Miles and miles of backroads don't help me much.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

Everytime I drive over the Sunshine skyway I think about it collapsing into the Gulf. Of course a large tanker hit one of the pillars but still........the thought never ceases to cross my mind. I do hope there is an alternative to that death trap. I'm sure any publicity the bridge may get will be a little motivation for the powers that be. I will look for that special.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Glad to see back to blogging.

There so many repairs to be done around our country.
I sure hope the dover bridge doesn't go boom any time soon.

Thanks for stop by and the coffee is always on.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Maggie:
I remember the Sunshine Skyway. That thing goes on forever. How many suicides happen on that thing?

Peppy:
I just saw in the Bee that city of Sandpoint wants like 26 million for repairs to its sewer and sidewalks. It will be interesting to see how the money game plays out.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Jean&Vic said...

sounds like if it is a squeaky wheel it gets the oil, or in this case the money to start fixing it.
I'm sorry that squeak had to be heard nation wide to get the fixing it needs though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home