Sunday, February 08, 2009

Local Meat



Lately I have really been slacking on my responsibility of purchasing local products and preparing my own food. While we still have a decent supply of potatoes and shallots and our applesauce and other preserved food are abundant, I have not felt like baking bread, making my own granola, baking muffins or other tasks I am used to doing with pride and enjoyment. This does not mean, however, that I am filling myself with tv dinners and mac and cheese. It means we have been eating a lot of beans and rice, burritos, breakfast sandwiches, and simple stir-fry's (foods that are quick and easy to prepare). My biggest concern has been the protein. We buy local eggs along with some cage-free eggs from over in Washington, fish from wherever (the local fish has too much mercury), and my newest find Brown's Buffalo. This is a real score. The farm is a little north of Priest River, Idaho. His prices can't be beat-$3.99 for burger or stew meat. He mostly sells out of his home or to a couple local restaurants, which I will occasionally hit when I fail to pack a lunch and I'm stuck in Priest River for my lunch break. Now if I can find a good local chicken producer.

5 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

You most be talking about the fishing in lake Pend' Orellie (sp) personal I feel there less Mercury in that lake then our Ocean.
I guess now they found complete dead areas in ocean.

Just my take on it.

Coffee is on.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Mone said...

Actually I love mac and cheese, but since I'm on a diet... yeez life could be so good ;)

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger BurdockBoy said...

Peppy:
The dead zones in oceans are from the low levels of oxygen, which pretty much stops everything. I agree there are a lot fish in the ocean that have high levels of mercury (shark, mackerel, swordfish, etc). Generally the salmon and halibut have lower levels which are usually what I eat. Still there are pretty high levels of mercury in our lakes, and the lake trout seem to bioaccumulate the mercury.

Mone:
Mac and cheese eh? Do you like Top Ramen too?

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger The Fool said...

Buffalo is a popular staple up here, too. Then again, most folks have a freezer full of moose and caribou. Mine's full of halibut.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Have you ever considered raising your own chickens? Except for occasional predator problems, we have found them very easy to care for and they are so fun to have around too! Just an idea to solve your "wanting chicken" issue. ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home